Author Topic: From the stand  (Read 49624 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: From the stand
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2016, 04:46:44 pm »
Ya me to, bow hunting is tough this time of year but gives me a good reason to get out, in fact I am in the stand now, lots of tree rats moving but no deer yet, never know why the evening may hold . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2016, 06:27:08 pm »
Well no luck.Looked all morning.Did find a week dead yearling in the wash though.Guess I'll have to keep trying.Beautiful weather out now too.Keep seeing a nice 10 pointer once in a while along with a bunch of does.Did find the back 8" off the pass through though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2016, 06:58:38 pm »
Darn sure was hoping you'd find her Ed. That arrow looks like it did its job.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2016, 07:26:46 pm »
That's a dead deer
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2016, 04:33:10 am »
The arrows looks good to me, sorry you lost it that is tough when you know you did things right.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2016, 07:03:56 am »
I talked to an out of state bow hunter while looking for the doe in the area she could of ran.Hate to think bad of people but he could of taken her too.Usually it costs out of staters approximately 600 to 700 dollars before they can get a deer home here in Iowa.
I have a friend with a good blood trailing dog.A labrador but it's illegal to trail any form or state of deer with a dog in Iowa.Have to drop a note to my representative about that.....lol.Trouble is people can twist the law around to suit their needs I imagine.
Funny things can happen hunting.Shots like that usually always show me a dead deer.I'll take it every time.It's all a part of the experience though.I enjoy being out there trying to get another shot so I'll keep trying.Got till January 10 till the season closes.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2016, 07:53:51 am »
With the looks of that arrow wouldnt think that dear would be far I hope it wasn't a out of stater taking it , we only have a couple more times out here in Il. before end of season been sub zero temps this last week but warming up going to get out sunday hope you find it yet Ed.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2016, 07:55:34 am »
In Tennessee you have to have the dog on a leash and no weapons when tracking deer. ;) Of course I always keep a little something in my pocket just in case. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2016, 10:02:19 am »
Been hearing plenty of late muzzle loader shots around me lately,but it seems they hav'nt shot em all around me yet.That season goes on in tandem with the bow season here till the end January 10.Think other hunters have scared my flock of turkeys away too.Had a 7 and an 8 point chasing 4 does entertain me yesterday evening.I was just in  the wrong stand is all.I've got about maybe 30 acres at the most of wooded area to hunt here and still might get another shot if I'm lucky.I believe they are hanging around my area because of all of the commotion over the fence from me.
It still kinda befuddles me how that hard hit big doe was'nt found.A broad side shot right in the boiler.There was blood already on the ground 30 foot from the spot she got shot at.Blood poured out of her 50 yards down the line on both sides of her tracks.Another 30 to 40 yards after finding back end of blood drenched arrow the blood played out.She should of crashed there.No drag marks from where a hunter could of drug her away.Nothing.Very strange,but that's hunting I guess.
It's pleasant weather here again too so there's about 2 weeks left to deer hunt.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:39:02 am by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: December 28, 2016, 11:05:12 am »
Hang in Ed, you just never know. I saw a nice white horned Buck yesterday by his self just out of range and nothing but tree rats this morning so far. Beautiful day 28 and frosty this morning and up to 59 today but calling for rain tonight. I plan on staying in late and just visit and work around the shop this evening. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2016, 11:39:06 am »
I think you still got a shot yet there Ed your seeing a lot more dear there then I am here got rained out here monday but going for one more shot this next monday if doesent rain its ether been sub temps or warmer rain days here late season Good luck !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: December 28, 2016, 01:37:22 pm »
Gary Davis just came in 0 for 1 hit a big doe righ across a the top of the back, he's out by  the shop shooting at Dr Pepper cans to get focused, by the way the shot was 8 yards  :) he seen 5 yesterday but no shots so he is headed back to that same stand this evening. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #177 on: December 28, 2016, 01:55:48 pm »
I seem to hit high on the close shots also.  I hope Gary has better luck this evening. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2016, 09:28:11 am »
I am in the star now and Beau and Gary are at the other end of the farm. Beau just text me he has a Spike down. Now we need to double up. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2016, 07:15:23 pm »
Alright.Sounds good.
BowEd
Ed