Author Topic: From the stand  (Read 49510 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: From the stand
« Reply #180 on: December 29, 2016, 08:44:27 pm »
That Beau is a deer killing machine.  Somebody must have taught him the right way to do it  ;)   You should be proud Pappy
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2016, 03:25:22 pm »
Clint, I think it was Jimmy.   >:D   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2016, 04:43:18 pm »
Well, whoever it was Beau must have paid attention  :D

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2016, 06:04:11 pm »
Haven't been out much the past two months and our season is winding down with only about two weeks left to go. No luck for me this year, had a few shots in November but as was the case last year I put myself in position to get deer but failed to make the shots. :( My best chance for a kill came in October when I had a buck broadside at about 5yds for several minutes but couldn't shoot him because I was on a public land site that doesn't allow you to shoot a buck until Nov. 1st.  >:(
I did get out this past Monday for a morning hunt, found lots of sign in the area I hunt which means that there are some deer that survived the gun seasons. Hung my stand after arriving an hour after first light, sat in it for about 2.5 hours then got nervous because it got windy and there were a few dead ash trees around me that had recently fallen and a few more standing dead ones real close to the oak tree I was in that looked like they could topple at any time. Got down and took a walk to explore a large area of cedars and Russian olives so thick you have to crawl and fight though the tangled mess for a few hundred yards. Man was it loaded with deer sign, no way to hunt in there and the deer sure know it.
Anyway I took a few pics going into the stand, from the stand and of what was left of a deer the coyotes had clean up real well in that tangled thicket.
My new phone is now my camera and I haven't tried posting pics from it yet, we'll see if this works.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2016, 07:21:19 pm »
Those coyotes didn't leave much of that deer.  Glad to see you finally got a new phone.  I expect to see more bow pictures from you now  :D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2016, 07:35:55 pm »
Badly bent I never had a camera till I got a phone. Any of the pictures someone gave me I never looked at because it wasn't handy. I really do love my phone and especially my camera. Your pictures are great  by the way. Like Clint said we'll be expecting to see lots of nice bow pictures now. Don't know if I'll get  out again not much season left but might try to get one more hunt in if it works out. Pretty soon it'll be see ya all next year.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2017, 12:19:49 pm »
Nice pictures Greg, ya the season is about done, I hope to get out a few more times myself. Pat I would be proud to say Jimmy taught him but Beau has been killing deer with his bow way  longer Than we have known Jimmy. His first bow kill was at 9.  ;) Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2017, 01:04:21 pm »
I know Pappy. That was a lousy attempt at humor. Beau wouldn't be Beau without you and Miss Joanie and on top of that his acquaintance with the rest of the fabulous folks around Twin Oaks is the icing on the cake. 
 I haven't hunted once this year. Just haven't had the urge. I may go to GA next weekend(extended season this year). It will be a gun hunt but what I miss mostly is sitting around a campfire with long time friends. I hunted with those guys for over 25 years until a few years ago when finances and other circumstances prevented it. It will be good to spend time with them and I'll try to get a pic "from the stand"...and maybe even get to shoot a deer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2017, 08:03:23 am »
Well the sun set on our season and it set beautifully. I feel very blessed to have hunted this way and unless health problems stop me in the future I don't foresee ever giving this up. Thanks again to the many people on this site that helped me be able to experience this truly fascinating style of hunting. Good Luck and Happy Hunting to any of you still in the the stand
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2017, 08:33:03 am »
You bet bjrogg....Your totally right and congrats on your kill earlier.I'll get out a few more times here myself too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2017, 01:10:52 pm »
Good Luck Ed, man I'm really hoping you get one yet. Your tip about setting up to get a shot after they pass by, and taking that quartering away shoot was right in my mind when I loosed my arrow. It worked perfectly and not many times that happens Hunting. Thanks again everyone
Bjrogg

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2017, 07:08:08 pm »
Beautiful photo of nightfall at your farm BJ, even though its always a bit sad to see the season come to an end. Like Ed said congrats on your first primitive kill this year, it was great to see it all come together for you.
I got out today for a morning hunt but didn't see anything with fur on its back moving about, left about noon when the rain was starting.
I did see a bunch of these sticky green balls on the trail on the way out. Anybody know what these are and if they produce anything useful? ;D ;
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2017, 04:47:07 am »
 Love the sun set BJ and that is a very cool picture Greg.  ;)Beau's spike and sister doing the trailing, pretty good story behind this spike and Sister's track that I will relate later when I get caught up here at work, anyone that knows about the TwinOaks Grand slam and me still needing a 7 point , lets just say all Beau needs is a 6. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2017, 08:21:30 am »
Greg, deer will eat those when they get soft and there isn't much else around. 

Pappy,  no offense but after seeing the last 2 seasons of deer pictures my money is on Beau getting that grand slam first   ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2017, 08:24:58 am »
Congrats to the young fella Beau and the finished trail the sister dog did for ya.
Pappy.... how about a tri fecta?A buck/a doe/and a yearling.All in one season.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed