Author Topic: From the stand  (Read 49622 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: From the stand
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2017, 08:39:06 am »
Great pictures and nice deer, Beau. I spent the weekend in the Swamp and it was great, no mosquitos. The deer haven't gone into Rut yet but our season goes till the end of January. A friend of mine had the chain break on his API climber while he was 20' in the air. He had just turned to face the tree to hook his harness when it broke. He landed flat on his back. Phone service is none to spotty in the swamp so he was on his own. He walked 3/4 mile out and drove himself to the Hospital in Orlando. Five cracked vertebrae, and a cracked sternum. So, myself and a couple of friends have spent two days trying to find his stand to bring out. Getting correct directions from someone on morphine sucks when the Mngt. Area is 46,000 acres.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2017, 08:48:42 am »
Lordy that's quite a deadly fall!!!.He's lucky but sure he does'nt feel that way right now.He'll need a bunch of rest.Hope things heal up good for him.
Good luck getting a shot.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2017, 10:22:38 am »
Ya Clint I think you may be right, even though I still have a chance this year, ;) and he don't. Ed I have done that many times, the TwinOaks slam you have to kill a spike/3/4/5/6/7/8 + and a doe. Of course not all the same year but it keeps going until some one does. I have needed a 7 point to finish for 4 years now. :) I was really proud of Sister , she picked up on the trail before we even showed her where the deer was standing and once she hit it she never missed a beat, made the loop and right to it. She acted like she has been doing it for years. She done good on the first 3 but this one I think she has finely got it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2017, 11:47:26 am »
I can see that dog being sum kinda handy in the future. Good girl Sister!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2017, 09:00:12 pm »
Congrats Beau. Nice deer.   Pappy, Sister is small enough to pack in while hunting.   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2017, 04:21:02 am »
Ya I think she is going to work out, I had my doubts back in the fall but now she has seemed to mature a lot over the last few months and has finely decided it is better to mind me than not to. :-\ I always tracked with Red Bones for years and I will say it is a pleasure to have a small dog on the leash instead of one that would pull be around like I was on skis. The regular season ends Sunday here and I hope to get out at least a couple more times this week and weekend. We also have a land owner hunt the 9th -13th for doe only and then a 2 day late youth hunt 14/15th so it is about over for another year. Seems like it just started. ??? This was my 39th year bow hunting only and I can honestly say even though I don't hunt near as hard as I use to it is still one of the great loves of my life. Hope I can do it many more years. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2017, 09:54:23 am »
Pappy....Man that's a lot of deer clean,but it's goood stuff.I've only done that trifecta stuff once but I've only been shooting a bow since 09.Never shot a compound in my life.Your like the fellas I 3D hunt with.Been shooting bows over 40 years.They've all shot plenty of deer and each year.Each shot a dozen elk and even been to Alaska getting moose and Africa getting kudo,zebra,wart hog,and wildebeest too.All with long bow.I think Gary here did get his moose with a hickory self bow point blank range.They've all made self bows for themselves in the past.Grant was at the first Mo jam in Missouri.
I did see 8 does yesterday from the blind but they were spooky.It was very windy out and I think the Amish across the fence muzzle loader hunting spooked them too although I did not hear a shot.6 more days to bow hunt here.It still intriques me to cut my own wood and make a bow and arrows to get a deer/squirrel/and rabbit.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2017, 03:13:55 pm »
Headed to stand in a few minutes, clear/ cold 35 and 8 mph NW wind. Front moving in tonight so should be prefect. We will see.  ;) Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »
It's about 10 degrees here with a north wind.Snow coming soon.That'll help with tracking.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2017, 07:33:13 pm »
Congrats to Beau, a late season deer is not easy to come by usually but he is no ordinary hunter judging by the amount of venison he collected this season.  I imagine you will have a good natured competition to see who can collect that slam first Pappy, father verses son.  :)
Good to see your little tracking hound working out and earning her keep. Thats gotta be fun to watch when she puts her nose to the ground and goes to work. You guys be careful out there.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2017, 04:08:07 am »
Yep it is fun Greg, and you are so right about late season deer with a bow, it can be really tough even though Beau sometimes makes it look easy. ???  No deer sightings yesterday only saw 3 coons and 2 Tree rats, nothing much moving for some reason. :-\ Calling for a light snow tonight and the last weekend is supposed to be bitter cold with highs in the high teens Burrrrrrrrrrrr What a way to end the season. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2017, 09:16:48 am »
It has been a tough season down this way.  Drought for October and November with hot weather and it has rained most of December and into January. :(  I did blow a shot on a nice buck back in November.  He passed under my treestand at about four yards but heard my sleeve rustling when I drew.  That got him all geeked up.  Trotted out to twenty yards and froze.  He was on alert and I debated on shooting at all.  Shot under him by about two inches - I really thought he would flinch, but I was wrong.  Sucker stood there at attention till that arrow went by and then he walked off like he didn't have a care in the world.  Oh well, it was nice to be that close to such an old mature buck.  Sad, but that was the highlight of the season so far.  I am taking off ten days during the peak of the rut and I will post some pictures later, win or lose. :) 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2017, 05:00:13 am »
Well closed out the season Saturday Morning, the season ended Sunday but I usually don't hunt Sunday so I made my last stand Saturday morning. 7 degrees and winds out of the N at 10 so to say it was cold would be under statement. But fun just the same. The sun rise was beautiful and felt really good on the side of my cold face. :) We do have a landowner doe only hunt this week but I probably won't go out, if I do it won't be hunting it will be grocery shopping with the AR. Hope yall had a good season, I know I did. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2017, 05:02:57 am »
At least it got cold enough for me to break out my Beaver hat, man that thing is warm. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2017, 06:47:54 am »
Darn good looking hat Pappy. Time to get ready for next season.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise