Author Topic: Artificial Sinew  (Read 10683 times)

Offline loon

Re: Artificial Sinew
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2016, 11:40:38 pm »
thank you!! Just getting some of the same stuff...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:52:18 pm by loon »

Offline loon

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2016, 12:57:55 am »
Just saw in Jaap and Kay Koppedrayer's booklet Making Bamboo Arrows, it's mentioned that one of the easiest stuff to use to wrap the ends of feathers into the shaft is the minimally waxed artificial sinew that can be separated into strands. A small section of quill/spine of the feather is scraped and left nice and flat to wrap over.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2016, 11:28:00 am »
Yeah, certain threads with superglue etc will make a nicer looking end result or maybe last longer, but the artificial sinew is super easy to use as the wax helps hold everything in place while you wrap and glue it. Of course none of it is as good as real sinew.

Offline sleek

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 06:26:10 am »
The stuff is tuff. I got a buddy, his dad used to fight chickens back in the day. They used it to tie on the blades on the spurs.   They wouldnt have used it if it wasnt tough.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 10:15:19 am »
I have some 10 year old arrows with artificial sinew wraps. I sealed the wraps with super glue. The wraps are still holding up but are frayed. The wax on the artificial sinew accepts the super glue right off but later the super glue disappears and the artificial sinew frays again.
 Art Butner taught me about silk thread and super glue. He would make the wrap, seal it with super glue, sand it with extra fine sandpaper(emery cloth) add more glue and sand it smooth. If done like this the wrap comes out like a solid band that will not fray and it is a very strong wrap.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 03:46:08 pm »
I've tried so many things, I shoot a lot and my arrows get badly abused!
I've never had good luck with artificial sinew on arrows that I shoot a lot.
No matter what glue is used they always seem to fray eventually.
Now I use silk, I use 3 strands about 4' long. 3 strands just cuz it's quicker than wrapping a single thread. I use watered down tB3 and paint it on all the thread. 1 coat is enough, but 2 is better, the silk soaks it right up, is water proof,  and I haven't had one fray yet. Super glue works just as good, I just hate the nostril burning affects

Offline Ippus

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 07:09:37 pm »
Now I use silk, I use 3 strands about 4' long. 3 strands just cuz it's quicker than wrapping a single thread. I use watered down tB3 and paint it on all the thread. 1 coat is enough, but 2 is better, the silk soaks it right up, is water proof,  and I haven't had one fray yet. Super glue works just as good, I just hate the nostril burning affects

What size of silk thread do you use?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline sleek

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 07:25:51 pm »

Your not supposed to huff the stuff! Here in America we have these awesome laws that say you must be at least 18 to buy superglue, and that stops it from being abused.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 09:14:27 pm »
Dental floss works well also. Just not much choice of colors.
Steve Bennett

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 10:00:42 pm »
I'm not sure what size silk I use, I can check. I just buy it from a fabric store. It's pretty thin, that why I triple it up.  I use super glue called hot stuff and it's super potent