Author Topic: Traditional Horse Bow  (Read 6920 times)

Offline 89JeepYJ

Traditional Horse Bow
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:21:27 pm »

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but just sharing my experience using the thumb draw.

My bow is a fiberglass/wood combination, but still traditional (no riser or string nock). An actual composite bow would be nice, (have you seen the price for one?) or perhaps one day I will learn how to make one.

I've been using the thumb draw for several months now. At first I struggled, but now it feels more "natural." Still need more practice thought. I never mastered the Mediterranean draw and now I can't go back to it. I tried shooting split finger again, I just simply couldn't get the hang of it. I have nothing against it, I have just simply gotten used to the thumb draw. I'm still learning different ways of drawing with a thumb ring. I typically draw up to my cheek and them release when I feel it touch. I'm drawing about 29" and 30" now.

How many of you here have used or still use the thumb draw? I'm curious.

Offline loon

Re: Traditional Horse Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:20:56 am »
me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ORxGUVO5I

I missed the 145m target here :P

That bow looks pretty big. It's a Kassai, right?

I think it's harder to have a clean release/straight arrow flight with a thumb draw.. trying 3 fingers and thumb draw, does thumb draw seem louder at release? To me it did. Maybe it's also because I draw less with 3 fingers, which I do very rarely nowadays... but that one time I tried it, the release was strangely quiet with very stiff arrows, even.

But it is certainly possible to have clean arrow flight and excellent accuracy with thumb draw, and I really like the benefits (less chance for the string to hit the bow arm? more stability I guess, no string pinch), so I'm sticking with it..

You can get horn bows for around $700. Gotta be really careful not to twist them, and not end up like me...
Making a bamboo bow like the ones Dave Mead makes shouldn't be too hard either, compared to making a hornbow :p
Actually you can also get wood or bamboo/sinew bows that look like hornbows from medicinebows. Or there were some available.. Though I think they perform worse than Korean synthetic bows for around the same price, they look really cool..

---------------------

Interesting that you seem to have a low wrist but your fingers are straight and not pointing up. I really should try that. Using the index finger to feel the arrowhead at full draw?
On the draw hand, do you keep the thumb relaxed and hold it in place with index, or use only thumb strength and just keep the index as a guide? Those seem to be the 2 main ways to do it

Cheek seems like one of the best "anchors" for shorter draw. Maybe also jaw and arrow right under lip?..

haha.. about the word "horsebow"... https://www.facebook.com/groups/asianarchery/permalink/715851658553781/?match=ZWFycw%3D%3D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:27:01 pm by loon »

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 12:29:04 pm »
I too shoot thumb release, I have an all fiberglass limbed Manchu style bow and a fiberglass wood laminate Turkish bow. And that definitely looks like a Kassai.

Loon, that was a funny thread on "horsebow" for sure, lol.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:18:59 pm by Urufu_Shinjiro »

Offline 89JeepYJ

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 10:06:43 pm »
You are both right, it is a Kassai. 58"in length when unstrung.

Loon, I have noticed that if I foul a shot while using thumb draw, it's a lot louder. Otherwise, not much noise at all if I get a clean release. Those photos are a few months old. I broke the habit of keeping my index finger pointing out. Not sure why I shot like that, it was almost natural really.

I relax my wrist and use the strength of my thumb to draw the bow. I use my index to hold my thumb in place and as a guide, as you described. My bow is 50#@28in, but can be safely drawn to 30in. It has a very smooth and easy draw, even for someone of my size. I will consider getting a composite/biocomposite bow in the future, preferably with a longer draw.

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 12:44:53 am »
My magyar horn bow is 56.7" tip to tip and the max draw is 30"..  while my Korean synthetic bow is 53" and the max draw is 33"

I just tried to short draw with thumb around near as much draw length as my corner of mouth fingers draw and it wasn't really louder than fingers, so yeah. And today split vision(?) with the shaft pointing straight to the target, with thumb draw worked! It never did before!! What changed was sort of leaning forward, a lower anchor point, and canting the bow more. I have to train more with a lighter bow, with my ~40# bow I get tired quickly :\ maybe due to recent sickness
Good bow hand anchor points are arrowhead with (extended) index finger, and arrowhead on the thumb.

There has been some controversy over the authenticity of the biocomposite and even the hornbows of Grozer. About whether they're just prettified glass bows... I'd recommend just the song mu gung horn bellied bows if you want a "biocomposite" bow with a longer draw. Short and fast! Less reflex than a real Korean horn bow, though. But Korean horn bows are the most finicky of all horn bows, would not recommend without prior experience with an easier type (the horn bellied, synthetic backed Song Mu Gung bows aren't very finicky). Either way, Korean bows should fit a low wrist bow hand very well, and are among the fastest. But more stacky than longer bows..

I'm 6'1"/about 185cm with ape index of ~1 and 31.3ish draw length seems pretty comfortable, as does 32.5. Can draw up to around 36". But for now I'm trying 29", cheek/jaw anchor, shaft under lip.

BajanBow is selling a few hornbows with longer draw length right now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:16:13 am by loon »

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 11:03:35 am »
I have no desire at the moment to get a true horn bow. I mean one day yeah just to say I have the real deal, but at my current financials, with the maintenance involved, still learning etc., the laminated wood and f/g bows are plenty awesome. My AF Archery Turkish bow was only $150 and it's incredible. They just came out with some new Turkish models with nicer woods and clear f/g, very pretty but a little more pricey. go to aliexpress and search for the AF Archery shop there.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 11:41:16 am »
I picked up one of those fiberglass jobs and its about 60# at 28".  It shoots well but needs a heavy arrow.  Haven't tried the thumb ring, yet.

I tied my bowfishing rig to it and it shoots the heavy fishing arrows real well.
1’—>1’

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 12:22:21 pm »
Parnell, what design is it? Some of the asiatic bows, like the manchu or ming styles really did love the heavier arrows, others like the turkish or tatar bows did well with lighter arrows.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 12:35:54 pm »
It is Manchu just like the profile of the first bow you post.
1’—>1’

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 01:34:41 pm »
Yeah, those really were meant for heavy arrows, IIRC the historical examples weighed in around 1200gr.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 02:18:57 pm »
That bow is VERY beautiful.

WA

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 02:48:40 pm »
Yes, the Kassai bows really are good looking bows, they're just way too expensive for a fully fiberglass limbed bow IMO.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 09:55:53 pm »
I could listen (read) to you guys talk about these bows all day ! All new to me thanks Jeff

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 10:30:16 pm »
Me too, lol. I'm totally in love with this side of archery and there's very few outlets for that, lol.

Offline loon

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 09:57:36 am »
shooting hornbow
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Ls5Cdln6k
Bit too heavy for me at the moment, at 60#.. someone on Facebook just posted his 110#@32" Korean bow with which he shoots what's practically a crossbow bolt with the tong-ah overdraw
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:40:23 am by loon »