Author Topic: Deer  (Read 8802 times)

Offline Swamp Thang

Deer
« on: October 14, 2016, 08:08:52 am »
I'm still fresh to deer hunting everyone has been been so helpfully in my pursuit in Bowery I hope you guys can help in my pursuit of harvesting a deer. I'm going this weekend so a mid oct. Hunt. I have seen deer but no rubs or scrapes. I found a natural funnel formed by two fallen trees that looks fairly used I watched so does run through it a week ago. But no sign of heavy wear. Should I hunt this? ( the trees provide a perfect cover.) Second and scents or calls?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Deer
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 08:40:21 am »
I'm not sure where you are located but in mid October in my area the rut hasn't really started yet.  Hunting trails leading into and out of feeding areas might be a good set up.  In about 2 weeks the bucks will start running during the daylight.  I've got a similar spot where 2 trees fell creating a great natural funnel.  The deer were going around the trees instead of between them.  I put a stand down the hill to catch them going below the trees.  2 deer were taken from that stand last season.  I cut my trail to the stand between the two trees. Good luck this season.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:35:00 am »
Thanks hunted it the other day felt like I was just peeing against the wind just not sure what I'm looking for other than the obvious rubs and scrapes. Oh and I'm in East texas.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:41:06 am »
Your rut will happen later in the year than mine if you are in East Texas.  Are  you near Dallas?  I have family there and in Nocona.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 12:59:05 pm »
It comes down to time. Learn the area. Watch the movement of animals. Learn where they come from and where they go to. What time. The wind patterns of the area.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 01:12:56 pm »
...and most of all patience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 02:24:58 pm »
Sabine Nat. Forest I'm delivering today over in Cleveland, Tx talking with my customers they say their ruts started. I guess it's a regional thing?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 02:26:57 pm »
if you are hunting where you saw deer, that is about the best you can do,,
as you hunt more, you will define the areas deer are using,,
put your stand there down wind from where the deer are using, if you are in east texas, ,the wind is probably out of the south east most the time now,,,, so trails are probably your best bet now,, you wont see deer every day,, so be patient,,
and be ready when the 10 yard skillet shot shows up,, take your time and aim low,, :) did I say aim low,, :)
I just googled Sabine,, it says it has white oak, deer love those acorns,,, if you are lucky enought to find one dropping,, the deer will be there for sure,, go down wind about 30 yards from the tree,, and be patient,,,,
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:31:25 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »
On a side note on a trad. Bow solid wood no backing how long do you hunt with your bow strung

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 03:04:30 pm »
I "sweat" every bow I make so it can be strung for 6-8 hours if necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 03:26:08 pm »
Sweat?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 03:48:05 pm »
sweat,, leaving the bow at brace for extended time,,
when I elk hunt,, sometimes the bow is strung from dawn till dark,,
I am sweating a bow now,, leaving it strung all day,, so the tiller will settle to that,,
if I was trying to break a record for speed or distance I would not do that,, but for a hunting bow,,it needs to be able to stay strung without any change,, a low brace helps when you are leaving the bow strung as well,, as low as it will shoot well,, this year I hunted with a bow that I have had for 20 years,, it has a  bit of string follow,, but nice cast,, and I can leave it strung all day with no change,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 04:45:11 pm »
I start the sweating process from full brace through the tillering process. I start out sweating for an hour or so if I'm sure the tiller is good then increase the sweat time as I go.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 12:00:23 am »
Swamp Thang, I'm in E.Texas as well. I'm seeing no sign of pre -rut yet.The bucks are still together,but it could start anytime. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 06:33:36 am »
Thanks Pete over here scratching my head. Shoot the deer May Come right up 2 me because it's obvious I'm clueless about deer hunting hahahaha