Author Topic: D/R ERC  (Read 5505 times)

Offline bubby

Re: D/R ERC
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 02:47:55 pm »
That's much better Ed. Good job straightening the tiller out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 02:53:02 pm »
The handle is a 10" glue on.2.75" fades/4.5" handle.Feathered in decently I think.I know could get a deer with this bow yet if I wanted to.
My wariness of it working too close the fades and cracking cost me taking too much wood/reflex/and poundage taking too much from the outer third because of that hinge then to get it bending good on the inner third.Could of and should of done that differently.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:32:12 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline GB

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 03:18:44 pm »
Nice save, Ed.  You've got it bending nicely.  Wonder if you could steam the tips, bend 'em, and glue on a thin underlay?  I did that once to a bow that I had glued cherry bark backing to.  But that was with TB3.  Somebody on here says you can do it with Smooth On, too, and it doesn't weaken the glue.  I usually use Unibond when I glue a wood backer on and am afraid to try it with that stuff, though.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 03:33:15 pm »
That looks a lot better, Ed.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 03:36:57 pm »
Thanks for the idea GB.Curious thought though.I just don't know if smooth on will handle it.The steaming that is.I'd want to do an experiment first.With a couple laminations adding up to 1/2" thick.Steaming and then bending them on the form.The overlays are on with smooth on too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 03:44:06 pm »
Thanks bub and mullet.Better late than never heh....lol,or into pieces on the floor.I did forget my hard hat though.Maybe that's what screwed me up....lol.Just kidding.
BowEd
Ed

Offline ajooter

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2016, 04:18:17 pm »
Nice comeback Ed.  I love the color of thathe wood.

Offline GB

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 04:25:55 pm »
Yeah, a test is a really good idea.  I want to do that with Unibond one of these days.  I've wished that I would have flipped the tips more on a couple of bows after seeing how they looked coming off the form.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 06:39:46 pm »
You got that one looking much better Ed. Pulled the rabbit out of the hat on that one.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 06:41:20 pm »
That looks much better Ed, nice save

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 07:11:13 pm »
Thanks Aaron & bjrogg.
I don't know how [or I guess I do] I get myself into these experimental fixes but I'm seriously thinking about raising the draw weight on this 68" bow.I've just steamed and bent an experimental tip of lamination 1.5" that was gluued together with smooth on epoxy.After cooling down it seems fine and held the bend nicely.
I have 2 options or both together the the way I see it to raise this draw weight.The bow sits about flat at rest right now so at 68" I should be ok especially at 2" wide.Tiller should'nt change very little at all.
1.Doing the math to get a 50# bow I'll need to cut off 1.75" from each tip.To raise it from 39#'s to 50#'s.My horn tip overlays are 1.75" long anyways.That would give me a 64.5"TTT bow/63" NTN.
2.I could steam bend 1.5" set back onto each tip.The last 4 to 5 inches.Which I don't have a mathematic formula for as to how much that will raise the draw weight.Earlier tension for sure but unknowing as to final draw weight number.The 1.5" bends will not quite touch the belly of the tips at brace so it really could'nt be called a recurve.
3.Do both 1 and 2.Number 1 first then number 2 next and glue my overlays back on.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:59:47 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 07:21:11 pm »
Ed,, I hate to over simplify ,,, but bottom line is ,, when you kill a deer with that thing, all will be perfect,, :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 07:41:06 pm »
Yes yes yes I know but but but it's the battle against string follow and for the foreseen expected poundage that's at stake here.I have a hard time leaving well enough alone....lol.
More figures.....Expected mass weight of this bow is right within reasonable weight also to handle this.Added mass for 2" of set back minus the 10% reduction in mass because it's a laminated bow.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2016, 07:42:56 pm »
Very nice.  I like the limb profile
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2016, 07:53:06 pm »
Thanks Marc...I can't really call it a pyramid or a parallel.It's in between.Works for me.Think there was a thread about that a while ago.
BowEd
Ed