Author Topic: Breaking string  (Read 3048 times)

Offline DC

Breaking string
« on: October 15, 2016, 03:40:56 pm »
As far as damage to the bow is concerned is there any difference between a dry fire and a broken string? I'm thinking off making a gut string and wondering how brave I can be. ???

Offline sleek

Re: Breaking string
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 05:32:53 pm »
Every string I have broken was on release, the energy was already in the arrow when it broke. Id crap my pants if it broke at full draw.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 07:16:35 pm »
I'd try on a bow you don't mind losing first! I want to try a rawhide one someday but have the same worries.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:44:40 pm »
Practice making cordage for a bit before you throw one on your bow. You can hang them from a branch and add weight to the end to test the strength. I never string a bow with a handmade string unless it will lift the (draw weight x 1.5) without breaking.  I typically leave the weight hanging from the string overnight too. It helps to pre-stretch them.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 07:55:56 pm »
One of the reasons I'm thinking of gut is because there is little or no "cordage" to them. The strands are one piece and you just put 3 or 4 together and twist them up and stretch them out. You don't have to worry about introducing short lengths while you're twisting. I haven't sorted the loops yet, that may take a little cordage knowledge. If you do a google on "gut bowstrings" you'll see the video I'm following so far. It seems to be the only one there is, strange.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 08:18:32 pm »
There may be a difference because a dry fire goes to brace height and a broken string goes past unbraced but both could e devistating to a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 08:42:56 pm »
In the past yew bows were known for breaking on the belly side when a string broke.

Remember that all gut is not created equal. The gut that tennis strings are made with is a very specific sinew like portion of the gut. It's not just strips of sausage casing.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 08:53:17 pm »
I picked up a couple rolls of tennis racket gut a few years ago, never got around to trying it.  I did make some gut strings from sausage casing gut a long time ago, they weren't too bad
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 08:59:54 pm »
Dakota Kid, your strings should be at least 6 times the poundage of the bow. I make them 8.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 09:10:33 pm »
So far I'm just playing with pork sausage casings. I've twisted some and they are drying. I'll figure a way to do some strength testing without breaking my scale.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 11:12:08 pm »
Rattlesnake skins and squirrel skins are very tough.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 11:17:40 pm »
In the past yew bows were known for breaking on the belly side when a string broke.
I think my horn bow acquired a crack perpendicular to the limbs when this happened. So far I put loctite 480 on it and it's held up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLFEU139Sms

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 04:11:01 am »
3 or 4 times the strength of the bow for string strength is plenty.
don't just make your actual string. Make plenty of test pieces, get a scale and break them. Only one way to know that it is strong enough and you are doing your job. I second making lots of cordage of all types to get a proper grasp of what you are doing.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 07:24:10 pm »
loon..were you using fast flight string?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 08:38:12 pm »
Dakota Kid, your strings should be at least 6 times the poundage of the bow. I make them 8.

Unfortunately I have no way to hang 300+ lbs from my strings.  :laugh: The bucket I use only holds 4 bags of lead shot.

I suppose I knew that it should be heavier from using store bought string of a known poundage. I've only made a couple natural material strings, 1 sinew and 1 retted tulip poplar bark. It's quite a time consuming process. I just basically wanted to know how to do it if the need ever arose.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna