Author Topic: glass buttes knap-in  (Read 19139 times)

Offline juniper junkie

glass buttes knap-in
« on: March 04, 2008, 01:50:12 am »
hey guys, just a reminder that the glass buttes knap-in is the last week of the month. that is in central Oregon about 75 miles east of Bend. ;D

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: glass buttes knap-in
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:22:45 pm »
Will be there for the weekend of the 22nd and 23rd. Just wish I could stay longer!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 11:31:34 pm »
 Not sure on timing David but it's looking like we will be out there the first weekend as well.  I talked to Dave this morning and it's sounds like that is what he is planning as well.   

These pics are from a about 2 months after my open heart surgery. These are some true friends. Drove me all the way out there to dig rocks for me to bust up when feeling better. At that time I couldn't do hardley anything and they dug and followed that vain of rainbow obsidian and sent me home with a truck load of some really nice nodes.   

If you've never been there, it has some great quallity and varieties of obsidian. Well worth the trip.  Not to metion that there will be some of the best nappers in the world there.   
  As someone stated on another thread. Emory Coons is usually there and he skills are amasing to watch.  Keenan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:33:06 am »
Maaaaaaannn! Wish I could go and dig into some of that Keenan :'(. I'd be right at home for sure ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:46:39 pm »
Go there as often as I can! Just wish it was more often Keenan! Is that you in the middle? If so I will know who to look out for.

So, you joined the golden zipper club? Sorry to hear about that. My grandfather went through five way bipass surgery arround 15 years ago and hes still going strong to this day. Now turning 81 this year and does IDPA shooting with the young pups and woopen their buts!

Rainbow is nice but I know where some of the good stuff is and also we need to track down the Forest Green again. Cant remember where that came from. The pumpkin hole is also good for some really big stuff. You need to really dig deep for the boulders though!

You have a pry bar by any chance? I will be bringing a pick and shovell. Hmm! Got a 4x4 I can tag along on? My Honda fit can barley make it into the camping spot!

Paul, you need to head up here for one of the big gatherings.  The guys are a blast and the first night is a hoot! You think them southern boys can party! Amaizing some of the guys and galls can walk the next morning!!!  ;D Oh! Almost forgot to mention you wont ever have to pick at them flint pebbles ever again!  ;D 3 Foot long slabs of Obsidian :o :o :o, MMMMM AAAAAHHHHH!!!! THWAK! CHINK!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 10:50:25 pm »
I do need to make it up there - one of these days ::). I'd come home with the truck sqatted..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 11:31:20 pm »
Yep! And think how much that rock would be worth in gasollin these days!!!!  :o  ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 01:24:12 am »
  David, ;D ;D ;D  No, I'm the one taking the pic so I'm not in there.  Doing alot better health wise these days. Had a run of 4 surgeries in two years. The heart is strong as a 20 yr old. just had an aorta about to blow like a baloon. then two ruptured biceps, folowed by intestinal surgery. Seems I have a connective tissue disorder. They haven't quite dialed in yet. But doing ok for now. Have a torn rotator cuff but just grittin the teeth for now.   

PS. This is my ugly mug. May not have paint on when up there but will probably have mud, dirt, sweat or coffee  Keenan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 01:25:23 am »
hey dave,i am hoping on making it there.i hope keenan makes it.i would like to meet you guys.i have a long blade that i am working on and i need emory to look at it.later john

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 02:14:44 am »
Be lookin for ya up at the Butes John!

Keenan, I'll keep an eye out for ya. I will be the guy driving the silver Honda Fit and wearing the "Whidbey Island" hat or the "Maui" hat or the Camo hat or the.... ;D .  Its amaising I can actually get into the camping site with it.

Thats a lot of surgeries to go through.  Hope everything is going to work out for ya! Seems like everyone is ending up with health issues these days.  I have to think sometimes its all the unnatural things that are put in our foods these days. Keep on huniting if you can and eating the good food!  Though, there was that granola nature cruncher way back that ended up getting some major stomach problems!  ;D  Luckily the only thing I have to complain about is a sore back. My mother ended up going through brain surgery in October. Shes fine now and it saved here life! Amaizing what surgeons can do these days!

David T

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 11:28:29 am »
 Way cool, I'll be looking forward seeing you both up there. I haven't been out east very much so I'm not sure what kind of shape the desert is in.  It's been a hard winter here and way more snow then normal, so hope the road in isn't to rutted up.   Keenan

Ps.David I'll bring a few rock bars and nylon slings. They really help for rolling out the big ones.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:31:34 am by Keenan »

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 04:39:50 pm »
Thanks Keenan! One thing to remember about the Buttes at this time of year is be prepared for anything from heavy rains to snow storms and even occasionaly 70 degree weather! First day last year was 70 and sunny next day it changed in less than two hours from  50 in the morning and sunny to low 20's and snow. Then cleared up later in the day! Then rained all the rest of the week!!!

David T

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 05:34:31 pm »
OOOPS! Made a mistake on the dates I will be there if its the last week in March. I will be getting there the evenning of the 28th and  through the weekend. See ya guys there!

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 10:28:10 pm »
Correction again! Checked the PSK callender and it is the 22nd through the 30th! See you all there!!!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 03:25:38 pm »
   Hey !, you guys are making me crazy.I love Glass buttes.When I lived in tri-cities washington it was easy to make a rock run every year.Now that I am in alaska,I have'nt been to the buttes since 2005.I have'nt had the forest green,sounds nice.I think my favorite has been the punkin colored stuff.But,I like it all but the snowflake. Boy do I want to go down there now.I'm looking out my window right now and the snow is falling.Yesterday was 50 degrees and sunny though. Have a good time at the Buttes boys.Maybe I will make it next year.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington