Author Topic: glass buttes knap-in  (Read 19137 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: glass buttes knap-in
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 09:38:20 pm »
 Sorry ya can't make it Frank, Dave and I will will do our best to leave a piece or two for ya for next year  >:D ;D We are going for the first 3-4 days. Wish more of you guys could make it.  Keenan

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 11:41:00 pm »
Hey Keenan! Just means more for us. I'm actually starting to collect a bunch of this for trading and stuff. Seems like if I can get enough varieties I can go ahead and trade some for the other primitive things I need in life. Lets see, sinew, feathers, shafts, hmmm maybe even a stave or two!  ;D

Getting excited about getting down there on Friday evenning. Bring the essentials like toilet paper, water, tent, food, and lets not forget the most important of all....LIBATIONS! Dont want to even consider the party night without a bit of that. Dont get drunk but it sure is fun watching some of the folk that first night!  ;D

Hope Stu Murdoc can make it this year! Saw him last but dont know if he will be there or not. Mick and Steve should be there though!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 12:26:46 am »
Hey David,

I am thinking about going down the 28th and returning the 30th.  Do you think it's worthwhile for someone that doesn't knap? 

I have never knapped before, but would certainly enjoy seeing it done and collecting some Obsidian so I can give it a try.  Brian Melton has already given me some help with bows, so maybe I can twist his arm for some knapping lessons this spring.  Anyone have any idea on the road conditions?  My truck is 2 wheel drive with road tires...  and too new to beat up.  Primitive camp ground is no problem with me.  Sounds like besides the camping gear, food & beverages and lots of warm clothes, bring a bar/pick/shovel/gloves?  A bow?  Ohhh... better put a few spaces between these those two words....   Firewood?

Keith
Olympia
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 12:40:59 am »
Yep! Its a great place to learn and pick up materials. Dont know how many will be there later in the week but there should be a few. Bring all that you can and some firewood helps too. They guys there will be happy to teach you. Also the road into the camp site is washboarded but not to bad. Made it in with my honda fit last year. Most people will be happy to give you a lift up onto the Buttes to dig obsidian with them.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline BryanB

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 02:40:20 pm »
I wish I could make it.  I'll definately be going next year.
I'm starting to run a little low on rock, if anyone is interested in collecting some and trading for staves, feathers, shoots, etc. let me know. 
Have a fantastic time.
Bryan

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 01:05:46 am »
I am sure we can come up with some rock for you. what are you most interested in? there is  rainbow, pumpkin, midnight lace, tigerstripe, black, mahogany etc.  ;D would you want flakes or whole rocks?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 04:11:46 pm »
Hey Dave! You wouldn't happen to know where that neat look'en jade green stuff from the Buttes is? Man I have got to get some of that stuff. Its purdy!  ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »
 David, From what I here, that is highly guarded knowledge. But if we find out where that is, I'm sure we can barter for everything that you have,,, ;D >:D   Just kidding I'd like to find some of that myself.  From the sound of things we might have to have snow suites or wet suites for this weekend. ::)  Accually it rained here just a little this morning and the sun is breaking through now. I't supposed to get down to 19 at night for the Bend area by friday and then start warming up to low 50's for a high on Sat and Sun. And looks like Mon. might be nicer.   Keenan

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 05:14:31 pm »
Might have to stay for one more day then! Or head out later in the day to get back home on Monday! I am in desperate need for ROCK!

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 11:55:38 pm »
It looks like I will be able to go to Glass Butte on Friday the 28th-30th.  Would someone kindly tell me where exactly the primitive camp is?  I found Glass Butte on the map East of Bend on Hwy 20.  What is the name of the camp and is it signed?  Is anyone of PA going to be there for sure those days?

Thanks,
Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 01:10:24 am »
 JJ and I are heading out in the morning The 19th and are staying till Sun or monday. Snowed here in Bend today but supposed to be fairly nice by Friday and Sat.
 Head out on hwy 20 east of Bend. about 1 1/2 hrs to mile marker 77  there is a road that cuts off to the right and just follow the main road and tracks going in. It will lead you right to the camp area along the road.   Keenan

Offline Keenan

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 12:18:33 pm »
 Emory posted this over on Paleo Planet this morning.

this just in there are two brave souls at the buttes good shit bob from portland and matt male from burns. matt went on a firewood expadition this evening towards jim rigg's summer teaching camp a snow drift found him STUCK! so if you go on any roads around there walk in on it a ways test the ground if you sink walking best have a friend there to pull yer but out of the mud. it's been rainning all day today in burns bend had snow and rain all day too. so bundle up this is the wensday report from emory coons at 10:00 pm also terry crammer (wood carver extrodinare) will be there tomarrow evening is what he said on the phone cecil and lorraine will be visetting friday for the day brad boughman and mic hill will be there saterday no word on whitch day steve allely will show probly monday

Dave and I are headed out this morning, woke up to another skiff of snow on the ground.  :o ::)Suposed to get better Saturday.  ;D Keenan

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 02:56:58 pm »
For all those reading this post. Jim Riggs Knapping area is further down the road than the camping area. Most people comming to the Buttes have 4 wheel drive and will help you pull your car out if it gets stuck. Dont let this scare you from comming since I have only heard of it getting so bad that people had to be towed out on the main road once in all the years this event has been going on.  It also dries up really quickly out in the desert there. May rain then will be gone and bone dry within a day or two or less.  ;D  Its the desert, what can I say? Be prepared for anything weather wise!  ;D

David T