Author Topic: manchu whistling broadheads  (Read 6875 times)

Offline loon

manchu whistling broadheads
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:13:17 pm »
by far most Manchu arrows with whistles were used for hunting. The idea was that the animal was startled by the whistle, stoping(sic) in its tracks from the moment of release, making them easier to hit.

Regulations are often very specific about which arrow to use for which animal, implying that some animals may have responded differently to certain sounds.

Code: [Select]
Source:
http://www.manchuarchery.org/arrows
http://www.manchuarchery.org/content/whistling-arrows-and-whistle-arrows
Wonder if this could be legal and somehow reduce chances of deer jumping the string or moving, and getting injured rather than killed

Something else i've wondered about is whether poison like that used by African bushmen to drop big game (used with the usual primitive archery hunting tackle) should be legal, if it would result in quicker, more humane kills, less tracking of wounded game, more yield, etc
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:13:23 pm by loon »

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: manchu whistling broadheads
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:48:09 am »
I doubt anyone would go for the poison thing, but the whistling arrow is an interesting concept. Anyone familiar enough with deer behavior to know if the whistle would reliably cause them to freeze up as opposed to instantly bolt?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 05:48:48 pm »
I'm pretty sure poison is legal in Texas or was at one time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:20:50 pm »
I've heard of whistling and skipping arrows used together to hunt waterfowl. The whistling arrow mimicking a bird of prey and the skipping arrow to shoot the ducks off the water when they land to avoid the hawk. I've whistled to stop a walking deer but I'd think a whistling arrow coming at a deer would startle it.  As far as poison arrows...an arrowhead is deadly enough for me to have exposed while hunting. Adding poison would scare the crap out of me. A well placed arrow with a sharp broadhead is plenty effective enough for me and many others.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 10:01:52 am »
I sure would like to see someone perform a real world study to determine the average reaction to a whistling arrow. Maybe these folks were on to something, or maybe not. It's not out of the realm of possibility that that particular noise would cause them to freeze up rather than bolt, or it could be bunk, but I sure would like to know.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 03:21:30 pm »
From the reading I have done, they used different types for different animals. 3 Rivers sells a glue on target tip type.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 05:04:33 pm »
Deer can jump a 150 fps bow at 8 yards, with a perceived silent arrow. Adding a whistle will just make it easier for them to dodge us. No way would it benefit a deer hunter in any fashion.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 05:14:08 pm »
Haven't done any scientific studies on it, just for any observations I'd agreed with Pearl. I never seen where any sound froze a deer, just makes them bolt. Only thing I've ever seen freeze a deer is a big bright light in the dark shining in their eyes. I know that's illegal
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 02:25:43 pm »
Having studied Manchu archery extensively, I tried a whistling hare fork arrow out on bunnies.  Makes them think it's a predatory bird or something, they stop dead in their tracks.  still haven't had a chance to try it on a deer, though.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 06:44:19 pm »
I have had mixed results on whistling at deer to get them to stop some did and other seemed to just know that an arrow was soon to follow  :o Pods or posion arrows were used a little in the early 50's I actually belived ole Fred was expermenting with these and later it became a no no because of either self poisoning or wing and fling didn't matter where you hit them type shooting, Somebody goggle  about Fred, I thought I read it along time ago.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 11:43:46 am »
I firmly believe deer hear an arrow coming in some instances and duck accordingly, not always but I have seen enough examples to verify this fact.

I took a shot at a huge doe as she walked under my tree and away from me. When she was about 6 yards away I turned it loose, the doe reacted by forming a "C" shape with her body, the arrow centered the C and missed I her completely. She didn't drop like one would expect from a normal deer, she dodged the path of the arrow.

Where I hunt deer are skittish, they always drop on a shot so you have to hold low. I took a shot at a deer on a food plot at a deer, food plot deer are really wired and will usually go into contortions when you loose and arrow at them. I feel like the doe I shot at heard the arrow coming and reacted accordingly, she froze and my broad head shaved a little hair off her brisket, right where I was aiming.

I was expecting her to drop into the arrow, she didn't and was probably the only deer I have ever shot at that froze at the shot.

I have seen other deer literally bounce their chest off the ground avoiding an arrow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 07:02:09 am »
I feel pretty sure that would be a bad thing for hunting deer, sometimes if not fletched correctly or cut right feathers will make noise as will some slotted broad heads and I know from experience that ant good  :o so a whistling broad would for sure be a no no. As for poison arrows I am pretty sure that has been band in most places for a long time. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 03:39:27 pm »
Back in the 70's some of the guys around here wouldn't use the large Pierson Deadheads because they whistled.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 05:59:00 pm »
Having studied Manchu archery extensively, I tried a whistling hare fork arrow out on bunnies.  Makes them think it's a predatory bird or something, they stop dead in their tracks.  still haven't had a chance to try it on a deer, though.

Now that sounds more like what these would be used for, small field game that would indeed have that freeze response.

Offline loon

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 05:03:29 pm »
maybe it depends on the pitch. dunno