Author Topic: a good read?  (Read 9441 times)

Offline Frodolf

a good read?
« on: October 20, 2016, 06:10:28 am »
I've just caught the horn bow bug. Or, I'm in the process of catching it. Got some water buffalo horn, some sinew, and I'm trying to read whatever I can find on the topic online. It's funny, the feeling I have is very similar to when I began making wooden bows – sometimes I think I get it, and sometimes I start suspecting there is a LOT I don't know at all. I don't quite get the terminology, methods differ from wood bow making, and often, in forums such as this one, guys who know it all express themselves in ways that are sort of inaccessible too me. Nothing wrong with that, I just feel I need to get the basics on my own.

So are there any books or websites you'd recommend to get the basics? The terminology, the basics of how you actually make composite horn bow? Kind of a TBB just for composites?

Thanks!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: a good read?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:04:54 am »
By coincidence, I downloaded Adam Karpowicz' e-book 'Ottoman Turkish Bows Manufacture and Design (2nd edition)' last night; still wrestling with finding a way to print it off, but got to say it is totally brilliant and will tell you everything you need to know on a variety of horn bow styles, it is not limited to the Ottoman type and is geared almost entirely on how to make composite bows and why things are made the way they are

Offline Frodolf

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 09:54:16 am »
Sound exactly like the kind of book I'm looking for! Thanks, Stuck!

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 10:13:52 am »
As far as I'm aware Adams book is considered a must have for this kind of project.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 10:18:31 am »
I downloaded Adam's book a few months back and it was worth it. It goes into great detail on horn bows. There is also a series on YouTube, I think it was  8 15 minute videos, they really helped me understand what was going on while reading Adam's book at the same time. It is an older video, I don't remember what it's called or whom it is by....I know that's not a big help. But if you search making horn bows, it will show up, along with Chucks video on making NA horn bows, which is also a great video.

Eric
Eric

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:00:45 am »
Adams book is a great book I have had it a couple of months I read it and re read it there is a lot of info  always pick up some thing new every time I re read it , its the only step by step horn bow book I have found.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 12:51:48 pm »
It can take a while to decipher and digest everything Adam writes.Little things can mean a lot.The only way to understand it really is to make a bow sometimes.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 01:32:12 pm »
ATARN is a horn bow website and message board.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 01:34:08 pm »
ATARN is a good resource indeed, if you're on Facebook join the ATARN group.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 02:32:00 pm »
It can take a while to decipher and digest everything Adam writes.Little things can mean a lot.The only way to understand it really is to make a bow sometimes.

:)
Yes get Adam's book then just jump in and have a go.
Does anybody know how to print the e-book thingy? My original copy is getting a bit dog eared now.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 02:44:20 pm »
I would also be very interested in hearing how to get the E book into print form.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 03:41:14 pm »
e-books have a digital copyright protector called a DRP, I posted this question a while back and there are DRP removal softwares, one of which is called Calibre, once I have mastered it I'l post an update

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 06:14:33 pm »
Calibre is an excellent tool for managing ebooks, removing DRM is only one thing it can do, if you wind up with ebooks of multiple formats you can convert them for whatever device you're using at the time.

Offline loon

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 04:51:48 am »
Yeah, I have it on calibre. I had to use some sort of program to remove the .azw* file (.azw3?) DRM.. Apprentice Alf's DRM Removal Tools.

Calibre should be able to print it. Otherwise... Might have to convert it to pdf, ps or (x)html before it's printable? ... ...

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 12:22:47 pm »
yes, turns out Calibre does exactly that, print as a PDF is an option, as is export as a Word doc. In my house, accessing any device is a problem - I am way down the pecking order when it comes to screen-time so a paper copy is essential