Author Topic: Game. On. First board bow...  (Read 19630 times)

Offline loon

Re: Game. On. First board bow...
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2016, 05:44:21 am »
Looks like hemp wrapped neatly (serving wrap? or whipped?), possibly with the frayed fibers burned off after wrapping. I'd be surprised if no glue to keep it from slipping was used.. I've done it without glue and it just slips.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2016, 08:59:00 am »
It's jute twine, fine. Wrapped it tight and then saturated with slightly watered wood glue. I worked it a little bit while the glue was wet to smooth down the loose fibers a bit.

As much as I liked the smooth look and feel of the wood, this provides a really good gripping surface, no sliding around in the hand at all.
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline FilipT

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2016, 11:19:44 am »
Good idea, I'll probably do the same thing in future for my bows, leather doesn't really appeal to me, looks too "modern".

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2016, 11:32:34 am »
I've always liked a twine wrapped handle.I saturate mine twine wrap with TT3.It stays.Very nice looking all around pyramid bow you made there.I know what you mean though about nothing on the handle at all.Wooden bows have a attractant to them that you want to handle/look at/and shoot.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Ippus

« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2016, 11:57:28 am »
(serving wrap? or whipped?)

I wrapped the end under the first 1/2" and used a pencil to tuck under the last 1/2" I rotated the bow and kept tension on the twine with my other hand, so... I guess that's serving?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2016, 07:42:11 pm »
Me too.Sometimes I put a drop of super glue on the end and tack it to the bow and wrap over it.I go around the edge with a small paint brush and put a bead of glue there too.It won't go anywhere.Gauranteed!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed