Author Topic: any notes on transplanting switchcane?  (Read 1905 times)

nsherve

any notes on transplanting switchcane?
« on: October 21, 2016, 06:40:17 pm »
I want to grow a good bit on my property (it'll be good for the deer...) I've seen it growing on the highway, and dug some out to plant the roots. Will this work? I also plan to use them for arrow shafts.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: any notes on transplanting switchcane?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 09:46:28 pm »
Switch cane grows from underground rhizomes so you will have to dig some of them to transplant. Be sure you get the rhizomes with culms(canes) growing from it. It will transplant better and give you new culms faster. Be sure you have plenty of room for the switch cane because it spreads like crazy and be sure you really want it where you plant it. All spreading type bamboos are very hard to eradicate. If you live where the ground doesn't freeze mid winter is a good time to transplant.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

nsherve

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 11:26:49 am »
i dug some up and planted it down on the bottom of a slope along a tree line. the leaves all turned brown, so i assumed the canes had died. i left the roots where i planted them. i'm thinking late winter early spring would be the best time to do that, but i work overseas, so i do things when i can... do you think these will resprout next year? i guess only one way to find out. i live in west central alabama, so it freezes every third year or so. it can get pretty cold for a couple days, then back in the 70's after.
i'm not worried about it overtaking, i have enough land. and, i might help me to cover the land (since it's a native plant)  as i clean up the privet, kudzu, and wisteria.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 02:01:06 pm »
The rhizomes are tough and probably will survive but you nay not get arrow worthy culms for a few years...and remember you want 2nd year growth for good arrows. How long was it from when you dug it to when you replanted. The sooner after the better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:57:24 pm »
Like Pat said, plan accordingly. After it grew under my house and sprouted up in the front yard I had to break out lots of Round Up to get rid of it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

nsherve

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 08:25:40 am »
it was 'bout 30 mins from digging to planting...

i'm not worried about it taking over, it's nowhere close to the house or anything like that...