Author Topic: Bad couple of weeks  (Read 1679 times)

JacksonCash

Bad couple of weeks
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:44:37 pm »
I've had a worse two week time period in my life, to be sure, but man this one is up there mostly due to volume rather than intensity of bad things.

About two weeks ago we discovered fleas in our house. We had our cats going outside this summer, and noticed they were itching themselves an awful lot, then suddenly started seeing the little buggers everywhere. We spent a lot of time vacuuming and washing, and finally called in some professionals, and we will still likely be dealing with them for a few weeks.

That same day I sat down to take a look at our finances to put together a budget, because the wife and I were noticing a dwindling savings. We've got an 8 month old, so its no surprise we are spending more now than before. The big issue was we (meaning I) didn't change any other spending habits. I have a large sum of money that I was able to credit to junk I buy just because... At one point in my life everything I owned could fit in the back of my car. What happened?

I went to a conference for work last week. Somehow I managed to double book myself at the hotel, at the "Promotional non refundable rate" for conference attendees, so I spent a grand of company money. Not sure how I'm going to explain that one.

Lastly- just this morning, I backed up into another car in a parking lot. Not a ton of damage- ours worse than theirs. They are getting an estimate to fix theirs, and i'm just going to leave mine or fix it myself. Neither of us want to report to insurance, so I'll be paying for their repairs which doesn't help that second situation.

Here's where it really hit me in the nuts though- All of these things, every single one is due to carelessness on my part. We should have protected the cats from fleas, I should be more aware of my spending, I need to get my poop in a group at work, and I need to pay attention to where I'm going. I really could have prevented all those situations- so this isn't a "Ahhh life is mean and nasty and picking on me post" but more of a "I need to grow up and get focused on the important things post"

I put this here because I needed to get it all out, and the wife is currently a bit upset with me over the fender bender and isn't ready for a nice face to face.

UPDATE:: Wife just brought me candy and rum. I think we might survive this one.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:14:06 pm by JacksonCash »

Offline Zuma

Re: Bad couple of weeks
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 03:55:36 pm »
Oh boy, the worst is yet to come! ::)
Good luck brother.
I am glad it really isn't that bad.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 04:57:28 pm »
Don't beat yourself up too bad. Seems like when you are hit with unexpected problems and expenses, it stays on your mind and leaves you blind to other things and before you know it you have another one to worry and distract you more.All you can do is fix then as you can and quit worrying and stay focused.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:44:38 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:02:39 am »
Anybody unhealthy, J-Syn? That's ALL that matters, take it from me. Money? Who cares. Dents? Who cares. Fleas? Who cares. Sick? EVERYBODY cares. It took me 44 years to accept and understand the phrase, "If you have your health, you have everything".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:32:04 am »
Anybody unhealthy, J-Syn? That's ALL that matters, take it from me. Money? Who cares. Dents? Who cares. Fleas? Who cares. Sick? EVERYBODY cares. It took me 44 years to accept and understand the phrase, "If you have your health, you have everything".
Well said Pearl Drums
Northern Ute

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:41:48 am »
Yeah, sounds like you have got the right perspective on it.
Don't beat yourself up on the small stuff.
A car with bumps has character :laugh: and at least you won't be worrying over the next tiny scratch (except caused by flea bites!)
Try to enjoy the precious time with your little one, they grow up so fast.

Candy and rum! :o
Never got that treatment when I was a young Dad!(Or since!)
You'll look back on the tough times with fondness one day.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:45:31 am »
Good phrase Pearl, and so true. I pretty much took on the attitude over the years if it won't matter a year from now, it don't matter now. Hard to live by all the time but I really try. :) Hope things look up for you as I am sure they will in time.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 11:10:19 am »
Sometimes it seems like when it rains it pours,but I'm sure you'll climb out of it.Then people wonder why peoples' memory fails us....lol.Too many things on a persons' mind.Like Pearly said though real important things priority wise change in a hurry when someones' health goes south for yourself or someone you care about.Puts things in a different light.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 12:52:10 pm »

So true. Money comes and goes. Cars will eventually stop working. Health should be our leading cause of happiness.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

JacksonCash

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 02:09:21 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your replies. Got the work thing squared with my boss. He said something along the lines of "You work for a 4 billion dollar company, don't worry about a thousand bucks." That was certainly helpful. He said he'll help me navigate any accounting issues that come up. Everyone's healthy, and I know what needs to be done to correct my path on the other issues, so now its just down to the doing.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 02:23:23 pm »
I'm right there with you. I just paid for the first full week of daycare. $155. Time for me to pull up my big boy pants and be the adult I've been for 20 years! There are lots of things that I casually purchase. I need to stop too.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.