Author Topic: Need advice regarding elderberry  (Read 8173 times)

Offline FilipT

Need advice regarding elderberry
« on: October 23, 2016, 07:22:58 am »
So I picked up yesterday elderberry. 205 cm (80,7") long, 5 cm (~2") in diameter with 5 cm (~2") of reflex. I want to make heavier longbow / warbow (not sure yet about poundage), somewhere 190 cm - 200 cm in length tip to tip.

My questions are following:
1. Is that reflex too much for warbow?
2. If I design the bow as classic warbow, pith canal will go through the limbs without being visible on the surface. My 25# elderberry bow was a flatbow so canal was visible and bow had cool "U" cross section which works perfectly. But what about bow being basically a hollow through whole length?

Thanks

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Need advice regarding elderberry
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 08:52:41 am »
If it's 2" diameter I think the pith channel will break through into the limb at some point round about 2/3 along the limb...
Assuming it will be  about 1 1/2" thick at the grip and about 1/2" round at the tip, you are bound to break through the channel
I wouldn't worry about the reflex.
I'd maybe tempted to do something wacky like saw it down the centre into a backing and a belly, you could plane out the pith chanel and the glue it back together, that would also allow you to take out the reflex if you wanted.
Could even use the off cuts to fill the pith channel near the grip section so you could retain more thickness there if required...
Dunno, just thinking out loud!
Only way you'll find out is to try it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 10:49:30 am »
By breaking through you mean, channel will "come out" and bow will be "U" in cross section in the last 1/3 of limb? So that hollowed limb doesn't matter, or to put it another way, it won't be weak?

No sawing for me, I don't have bandsaw.

Offline Jonas

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 02:16:34 pm »
The Reflex should be no problem.
I dont think that the belly will resist the compression if you leave the pith channel inside. But I have never tried it with elderberry, just reconsidering my experience with other woods (for example dogwood).

Offline FilipT

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 03:59:44 pm »
Actually I measured the reflex. Its 8 cm and not 5 cm! Not sure if that changes much. Bow will be roughed out tomorrow and clamped to a bar so as its wet it will probably loose excess of reflex.

I am tempted by two ideas for this bow. Actually I want this bow to be very special to me (and to all of you here). I got here special wood with this channel so that is one of the cool things, but I am not sure yet if I want classic warbow or more like a "victorian longbow" where I will have stiff handle.

Also I plan to make recurved tips no matter the design.
Even though they don't mean much on bow this long considering performance, they will give a "Elvish" look when combined with yellowish color of elderberry and pith channel. That is what I want to achieve.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 04:54:08 am »
Watch out for the elves....fine fellas but they don't make great bows....Leave the recurves for a shorter bow :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 05:02:59 am »
By breaking through you mean, channel will "come out" and bow will be "U" in cross section in the last 1/3 of limb? So that hollowed limb doesn't matter, or to put it another way, it won't be weak?

No sawing for me, I don't have bandsaw.
Yes I mean the channel will come out at some point. As I see it, the channel is no problem when it is well inside the bow, and it's no problem when it's exposed as a U... I'd be just a bit worried at the transition between those two states, as there will be a channel with a thin layer over it on the belly which I'd have thought likely to buckle. I wouldn't fancy having that transition mid limb on a warbow!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 05:39:10 am »
I've done quite a few bows that the pith is exposed as the limb tapers.

It has never led to weakness but if your concerned, you could run super glue into it to toughen it up!

If you want to heat treat that part of the limb, I would scrape out the pith first, heat treat and then use a wood filler to fill the channel and then soak super glue into it.

If you try to heat treat the pith it will burn and leave scorch marks on the bow.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 06:32:38 am »
Why not simply cut away this thin transition of wood and expose the channel?

Mike, elves don't make great bows? What are elves most famous for if not superior bows and archery skills?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 09:23:04 am »
making shoes  :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 11:28:13 pm »
Frankly, I am shocked that no one has made a Monte Python reference to elderberries.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 02:30:35 am »
Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 12:46:25 pm »
Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!

*mic drop*

Offline FilipT

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 04:33:46 pm »
I will post tomorrow pictures of the roughed out bow. Then it will be clamped and left to dry. Interesting thing is that wood is so wet, it actually drips water, never seen anything like that in wood cut in the autumn. Bark was super easy to remove and cambium underneath also.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 06:10:23 pm »
Now you are talking!  Some of us can't read and love the photos!