Author Topic: Arrow woes  (Read 5881 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Arrow woes
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 05:49:34 am »
Im gonna try all the above, but if someone were so inclined, id be happy to ship my hunting bow to them to have them make me a set of 6 for it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline aaron

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 11:10:06 am »
As others said, it's probably a spine issue. How heavy are your target points? If they are heavier than your stone points, the arrows will fly differently. You'll need either weaker arrows (thinner or longer) or heavier points (or insert a nail in the cane). An arrow that is not flying straight will not penetrate well at all.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 12:02:42 pm »
I do as pappy does, and bare shaft tune my arrows with the same weight field points as the stone points I intend on hunting with.  I will fletch mine after getting good flight and continue to practice with the field points on to get familiar and comfortable with them before I mount my hunting points.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 12:04:23 pm »
Also D Bar's primitive nock tracers help a lot when it comes to seeing your arrows flight

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 07:19:21 am »
As just said make a spine tester and bare shaft test. My last arrows I started with 45# on a 55# D bow and used 145 grain field points. Then shot the target at 10 yards. Nocks hit left showing underspined as my points were too heavy for the flex of the arrow. So I dropped to 125 grain and they shot pretty close. Then test them all and if any kick right you sand the center of the shaft to reduce spine a little.

Here is a really simple guide from Three river archery on bare shaft tuning.
https://www.3riversarchery.com/pdf/2011ShaftTuningChart.pdf
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 08:07:25 am »
I totally agree with everyone Sleek. Can't believe how much I learned about arrows from bare shafting. One thing I would add is if you have a target point arrow that shoots great and you put same weight stone point on and it flies crazy it might be that your not getting point on straight enough. I actually like pitch glue for halvting points because if I spin test them and there off a little I can heat pitch up again and get everything straight. If you have point on at a angle it will make it fly crazy too, but I suspect arrow isn't tuned to bow. As far as giving your bow to someone else and having them make you arrows might not work great. Just like everything else in archery consistency is so important they might shoot great for whoever made them and still not right for you. Shoot shafts are a labor of love, they take way more time than most people realize but once you get that 1st one to shot perfect the rest are a lot easier to duplicate.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Orrum

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 11:19:11 am »
Man this is a good thread. Thanks to the orginator and all others for posting!!!   
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 03:13:04 pm »
Are you weighing stone points before adding them? The standard target point is 125 grains and I don't use stone point as they are illegal in Maryland. I have always read most are much lighter than steel broadheads. 100 grains makes the arrow 5# over spined and 75 grains 10# over spined.

If the head is balanced to the tip we would haft the head and spin it on its tip while spinning the arrow. You can tell if its lop sided and needs to be remounted. Heavy to one side and its gonna shoot like crap.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."