Author Topic: string follow,good bad or ugly?  (Read 9107 times)

Offline bushboy

string follow,good bad or ugly?
« on: October 23, 2016, 05:38:58 pm »
I'm currently working on a bow that have around 50 arrows through it and it's holding it's profile well.i braced it and let it sweat for 5 hours.unbraced it's profile changed by 1-3/4",ten minutes later the profile. Was almost back to where it started.having noticed this before but not to such a degree.thoughts,bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

Re: string follow,good bad or ugly?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:45:05 pm »
Here's. The bow,heavy heat treated elm.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:15:46 pm »
seems to be reasonable,, the answer is in how the bow is shooting,,
I will add that is why I like to have a chrono,,
takes a bit of the guess work out,, I can test the cast after sweating and see show it is doing,, if it has reasonable cast,, and the profile is stable,,,I feel like the bow is ok,,
I dont know if 50 arrows is going to give you the whole story,, but its a good start,,, it might shift a bit after 1000 arrows,, depending on the design,,
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 06:24:07 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 06:27:27 pm »
Shoots well,willow. Leaf design.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 06:42:56 pm »
String follow or set, as long as its not over a certain amount, no biggy.  The bow shoots well, no worry.  :)  My last bow took about 2" of set and 1" of string follow.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline jayman448

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 06:47:30 pm »
side question. are there woods that inherently take more set or is it always just due to tillering

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:04:31 pm »
First question...yes. Second question....no. Some woods have more compression elasticity than others. You simply account for that in the design. Narrow the back relative to the belly as an example. Tempering will also harden the belly up so that it is forcing the back to do more work, lessening the strain on the belly and thereby Lessing the set.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 07:22:51 pm »
    Thats not too bad considering the amount of reflex you have in the bow. I have found a bow that doesn't recover after sitting for a while will actually perform better than a bow with the same profile that does recover. Recovery is an indicator of hysterisis in the bow. Thats one of the reasons I cut way back on the amount of reflex I build into the bows.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 07:51:36 pm »
Badger,, I keep thinking bout that,, I have a bow that does not recover,, it has string follow, but nice cast,, until you said that I wasl totally confused,, :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 09:28:08 pm »
Badger,, I keep thinking bout that,, I have a bow that does not recover,, it has string follow, but nice cast,, until you said that I wasl totally confused,, :)

Brad, I know you have been at this long time as I have. It took about 15 years or more before I realized this. The recovery actually starts the minute you let go of the string but it is much slower than the arrow so you don't get any benefit from it. So if a bow has 1 1/2" and recovers after 1/2 hour it might actually have 3" at the moment you take the shot.

Offline loon

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 12:08:33 am »
Post more pics of that bow, it looks awesome! And upload them somewhere else, they're too small here..

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 01:48:59 am »

Brad, I know you have been at this long time as I have. It took about 15 years or more before I realized this. The recovery actually starts the minute you let go of the string but it is much slower than the arrow so you don't get any benefit from it. So if a bow has 1 1/2" and recovers after 1/2 hour it might actually have 3" at the moment you take the shot.

I love this statement
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 10:40:22 am »

A person should be able to see that on a bow using a poundage tester.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline loon

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 11:05:37 am »
Hysteresis? :\ So.. does that mean slightly "overbuilt" bows may perform better?

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 12:03:54 pm »
Hysteresis? :\ So.. does that mean slightly "overbuilt" bows may perform better?

I might not consider what you consider overbuilt. If a bow takes set and was properly tillered it is either too wet or under built for the design we are using. We used to hear that a good bow was 90% broke. I think a good bow is only about 70% broke. We enter the plastic range long before we enter the rupture phase. We want to keep the bow in the elastic range.