Author Topic: How do you shoot a short bow?  (Read 8672 times)

Offline Blind Dog

How do you shoot a short bow?
« on: October 26, 2016, 06:52:59 am »
  I have seen of late several bows shorter than 60". Many as short as 36". All with draw lengths of 22" to 24". How do you shoot those shorties? I am 6'4" and am a founding member of the "Grass Stained Knuckle Society". I can stand with my feet slightly apart and flat palm an 8 foot ceiling.
  I have been considering bows made of local Utah juniper backed with sinew but what style would accommodate my long draw of 30"?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: How do you shoot a short bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 11:11:05 am »
Um, learn to shoot a horn bow with thumb ring? My turkish bow is 48" and I draw it to 33".

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 01:02:28 pm »
If you are referring to short drawing to match a short bow. Practice, practice, practice. You have to find consistency somewhere in your draw, anchor and release. Similar to a full draw with say your middle finger in the corner of your mouth and a locked elbow, as an example.

If you just short draw and fling arrows you will have days you cant miss and many more days you cant hit anything.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 03:30:21 am »
My sacrilegious synthetic Korean bow's 50" and I draw to 31 or 32"... maybe one day I'll get the real horn and sinew thing. Those are rather fragile, though.. should make a very old style Korean war bow :p
Hard to make such a bow primitive without sinew backing, and anything but horn or bamboo for the belly, I think. Short static recurves.
I was thinking of making a 36" bamboo bow to draw 18" or maybe 20"... to shoot such bows, I think I'd actually use the string as a visual anchor to aim. There was an article on the front page about this. "Wicked Little Indian bows". Don't know where it went... Here!
Code: [Select]
https://www.primitivearcher.com/articles/wickedlittlebows.html

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 04:08:34 am »

I draw them like this...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 04:38:27 am »

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 04:39:32 am »
Yeah, im showung off a bit, but point is, you can have a short self bow and a long draw length too. All these bows have very decent cast and I have made a few more.

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 07:44:39 am »
I love short bows with a long draw... stacky, but very fast

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 10:47:02 am »
Sleek, you got all the goody out of that bow for sure.
 Dog, like Pearlie said it takes lots of practice. When I started shooting short bows(47" to 60") it took me almost a year before I felt confident with them. I only draw 26" but it was still a chore. Consistency is definitely the secret just like shooting instinctively. Maybe try not pulling the full 30" but find a method to get the bow to full draw but with a shorter draw...and practice, practice, practice.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 10:54:54 am »
For me, Not very well.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 10:38:46 pm »
Its been my experience,that to shoot a short native style bow,with a short draw,that if i try to shoot it in the style that most shoot these days,it results in uncomfortable,inconsistent shooting.to draw the bow in this style results in inconsistent anchor points and plucking.I rely more on finding an anchor point such as,thumb base in corner of mouth or web between thumb and pointer finger cupping my chin and then,extending my bow hand and arm out.More of a push style than a push/pull style.In several old videos of early native people shooting,i have witnessed this style,where more emphasis is on the push aspect than the draw .This is an easier method to use,with a floating anchor or one where the hand is not placed against the face in any way.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 10:49:44 am »
For me, Not very well.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
  Pappy

*rimshot*

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 01:15:51 pm »
put a piece of tape on the arrow the draw length you want,,
draw the bow back till you hit the tape,, let it go with a smooth release,,
doesnt matter how tall you are,, you can shoot a short draw just fine,, :)
with a pinch grip,, when the draw weight gets high it will shoot itself,,
its not that hard,, I think the short draw bows shine at close range,,'
takes very little movement to draw and shoot,, less chance of spooking the game,, and maybe is a bit faster getting the shot off,, giveing you an advantage that drawing to 30 inches does not have,,
time yourself on the short bow release,,and then the long draw release, that half second could put meat in the freezer,,
thats why those guys used them, there was a definite advantage in the right situation,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 01:23:00 pm »
Brad when I tape off an arrow to shoot a bow in that doesn't fit me. I shoot all over hell. I cant take my eyes off the target, look at where the tape is in relation to the draw, and then look back at my target and let an accurate arrow go.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 01:47:34 pm »
Once you've shot a short bow enough you can feel when you hit full draw. I'm not conscious of my bow or arrow while drawing and shooting. I've shot enough to where my muscle memory takes over that part and my subconscious does the aiming and figures the distance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC