Author Topic: Elm  (Read 11705 times)

Offline GB

Re: Elm
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 10:13:37 pm »
I remember reading the Bow Woods chapter of TBB4 when I first started making bows; "All elms are excellent bow woods."  If I ever think about making a bow from elm again, I'm going to think "osage, osage, osage" instead. :o
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline PatM

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 10:20:42 pm »
I like how the names are freely intermingled between hard and soft Elms.  lol

Offline Ippus

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 10:31:00 pm »
I remember reading the Bow Woods chapter of TBB4 when I first started making bows; "All elms are excellent bow woods."  If I ever think about making a bow from elm again, I'm going to think "osage, osage, osage" instead. :o
Lol... If only I lived within 500 miles of the nearest osage...
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Frodolf

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 04:32:53 am »
I don't know how the different species of elm growing in america are, I only now witch (whych?) elm (ulmus glabra), but I've found elm one of the safest trees to dry/season. Beaten only by hazel, I think. That's a nice thing about it. I've never had an elm stave check or crack while drying. They can warp if you don't take notice of tension wood, but that's true with most trees, I figure. I usually put freshly cut staves indoors right away. Works great. Right now I'm performing some sort of drying experiment actually. I have an elm stave that I cut a week ago. It's been hanging by the ceiling over the fire stove – crackling dry, 23-25°C. I cut it about 2" thick. It lost about 10% weight in 3 days. No cracks, checks, warping, or movements of any kind. At this rate I'll have a completely dry stave in a couple of weeks or so. Not all woods can do that.

I figure this is because elm has a strong fiber-to-fiber strength. The fibers are interlocking to some extent so they don't separate from each other easily. For the same reason elm can be "thready" to split. But for the same reason I found it safe to ignore when a stave is a little bit twisted. A couple of years ago I made a 60# bow from a stave with a 90° twist. I simply ignored the twist and drew the bow out as if the stave had been straight grained. Fibres actually running diagonally through the bow. Worked fine.

Yeah, I like elm.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:06:42 am by Frodolf »

Offline bushboy

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 08:09:29 am »
Yes pat,growing up in Nova Scotia 3' and even some larger diameter trees where common.the last visit back 3 years ago most of those giants had been removed because of D/E in the town of Antigonish. Elm is my favorite!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 09:53:53 am »
Oddly enough I cut an Elm about 8 ~ 10 years ago very late in the season so I didn't get around to splitting till after the Winter.  When I came back to it in the Spring the 2 logs had split in many different places, first time I ever saw that.  What I could salvage of the wood turned out to be junk.  That tree was good for firewood only.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 11:43:26 am »
Well, I went to pick up the Elm my friend had saved for me, ...and sadly, it's Red Elm!   :(  The rings are nearly half an inch thick and almost entirely heart wood with just a narrow band of sap wood right below the bark.  The leaves were all about 3 -4 inches long and an inch wide or better.  I'm not sure if I'll try to get a bow out of this or not.

But not to worry, the heart wood is CRAZY PRETTY and will make VERY NICE drum rings and other projects I'm sure.  I will not let it go to waste, but I really do wish it had been Winged Elm.  I showed it to buddy that turns wooden bowls and now he wants me to go back to get the big trunk log to make bowl blanks.  It's a good thing I don't have a lathe - or I'd have to try my hand at yet another expensive hobby.

OneBow

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 12:57:38 pm »
Lucky your a diverse primtive creater Onebowonder.When I kept trying to make red elm bows I liked the color of the wood too.Used to call them tastee freeze bows.Like the ice cream.White sapwood and chocolate heartwood after varnishing.
A couple of FG bow making friends I have love red elm for their laminations.Seems to work fine for them.No crushing whatsoever.Good edge grain red elm is still very useful for bows.
I've hand split dozens and dozens of chords of elm over the last 36 years for firewood.It'll get the best out of ya that's for sure.I always look at it different now after starting to make bows the last seven years or so.For the people who are fortunate to have the denser type elm growing around them they should feel fortunate.I personally look forward to making a bow out of good elm just as much as any osage.Well almost.....lol.Reason being the way it takes heat treating so well as previously stated and holds up over the long term.The good stuff seems to have a combination feel from working with it like hickory and dogwood or ironwood but only lighter in weight slightly.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Ippus

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2016, 05:04:39 pm »
Well, I cut down a small Siberian elm (about 3.5" not counting bark) this morning. So we'll see how it goes.
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich