Author Topic: i hear that persimmon is good  (Read 1613 times)

nsherve

i hear that persimmon is good
« on: October 26, 2016, 08:04:53 pm »
I saw a couple decent size persimmon trees, one about 6in, the other 10in around. should i cut them down now, or wait till it's easy to peal the bark off? i don't have problem waiting, so it's not an issue... should the bark be left on for any reason? also, how many folks have had good results from it?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: i hear that persimmon is good
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:12:15 pm »
Persimmon is very good. The hard part is finding one with straight grain.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:39:19 pm »
Like Eddie mentioned be sure the grain is straight and not spiraling up the tree. The bark will let you  know. Just because the trunk looks pipe straight doesn't mean it is. Also, if it has fruit leave that tree for the wildlife and cut a male tree.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Orrum

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:51:22 pm »
Persimmon will sucker back out but is slow. I actually don't like the idea of cutting them, they r so very rare nowadays in our Appalachian mountains.
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:26:27 pm »
2 up 2 down for me.  This is with Texas Persimmon (Diospyros texana) which is much smaller and more twisted than American persimmon (diospyros virginiana).  Both were high crowned saplings and broke in tension.  I have a bunch of it, so I will go longer on the next one to account for it.  I like the wood, just needing to figure out what I can get away with on it.  Short, high crowned bows are a no go...so far.  Hard as iron and sweet to work under a draw knife..  Smells like popcorn when tempering it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:21:32 am »
Hard to tell if it is straight until you split it for sure. Sometimes you think it is and when you split it but  it will turn inside out .It makes a great bow if you get a good piece, yes take the bark off, it is awful about bug damage if you don't. Also be aware of the knots, or any bad looking spots they usually go deep and will be fatal so try and use only clean pieces. Also I would cut it in the summer so the bark will slip even though I have cut some in the fall and winter and it's not to bad to get the bark off with a draw knife just be careful with the back. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 06:19:48 am »
I read somewhere that parsimmon start twisting after the twelfth year so maybe saplings are less prone to have twists

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 06:36:53 am »
Never heard of that, but could be.  ;) I do know they pop up quick in fields if left unattended but takes a long time for them to get to be large trees if ever. :) I have tons of them on my place, almost to many.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

nsherve

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 08:22:54 am »
yea, i have them all over my place, too...you find coyote and coon scat with seeds in it around the place, also.

i cut a different one this spring, i had seen it the summer before, but it had just released boring beetles into the wild. there were holes all the way up the trunk. i'll get one of these (or both) down next summer...from what i could tell, the bark looks straight.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:38:51 am by Pappy »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 10:21:04 pm »
I made one from some cut in Tenn,, it followed the string a bit,, but is was beautiful wood,,

Limbit

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 05:17:44 am »
This may just be the species I was using here in Taiwan, but don't heat bend it! I tried heat bending the tips of a Japanese persimmon stave I was working on last month and it immediately split when I tried to bend it. Never seen anything like that before!

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 05:40:37 am »
You hear right. It really loves a good heat treat.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 07:10:18 am »
I've never made a persimmon bow, so take this for what its worth. If its like all other white woods a heat temper is nearly a must to get the most bow you can from it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.