Author Topic: Tiller check....  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Tiller check....
« on: October 28, 2016, 08:42:01 pm »
Getting this thing bending pretty decent. Just wanted a second opinion on the tiller. Right now she's just about at brace height and pulling 42# @18". Going for 50# @28". I'm thinking the lower limb(left side) needs to bend a little more and I need to get a little more bend in the outer thirds. Any input appreciated. Thanks, guys. :)

Offline jeffp51

Re: Tiller check....
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 03:05:13 am »
hard to tell with the background in the picture.  could be a flat spot mid right limb--could also be the character

Offline FilipT

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 03:38:19 am »
How long is it?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 09:20:11 am »
Boy she looks pretty darn good man.With ones like that maybe I'm wrong here but it works.I check my brace distances every 6" or so for proper type tiller you want.Of course the unbraced profile will reveal all as you slowly increase your draw like you know I'm sure.I see your a perfectionist and myself can't see anything too wrong with your limbs.Maybe someone has a better eye than me to comment.The length question is a good one.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 09:45:23 am »
Looks good so far, continue slow and carefully. Walnut ceiling beams?!!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 10:20:19 am »
Thanks for the input so far, guys. She's 64" tip to tip. I know the background isn't the best for tillering, but the right limb has some up and down undulations.

Hrothgar - I'm not entirely certain. My house was built around the turn of the 20th century. All rough sawn, full dimension though.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 10:23:16 am »
Here she is at brace height. Again, the top limb on the right. I think the top limb needs a bit off of it, then even removal until I hit weight. About 42#@20" right now.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 10:26:27 am »
Looks pretty good. Tough to say at a short draw but the near handle wood looks to move more. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 10:29:16 am »
Thanks for the input, George. The whole time tillering, I keep thinking that the outers need to bend a bit more. This stave has deflex off the bottom of the handle and reflex off the top. So, it's been playing havoc with my eyes. Lol

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 11:02:38 am »
Hard to find fault with that tiller.  I'm with Ed, looks good to me.  Maybe a bit stiff outboard on the right side but even that call is just a guess.  Nice work.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.