Author Topic: Hello from Argyll, Scotland  (Read 7427 times)

Offline ArrowStorm

Hello from Argyll, Scotland
« on: October 30, 2016, 06:04:47 am »
Hello every one! My name is Matt I'm 25 and I work as a builders labourer. I've been in to archery for years my first bow I made when I was 6 or 7. A bent branch off a laylandii, binder twine as the string and a garden cane arrow. It was weak and inaccurate which was probably a good thing as I used my younger bro as a target lol. I've got 3 bows on the go a board bow, wych elm molly and a ash longbow type thing. Allso got another elm stave and 2 halfs elder(sambucus nigra). I'm allso a big gamer and shooter/hunter i use shotgun,rifle, air rifle and slingshot. Im allso this is the first forum I have joined so I'm a complete noob.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Argyll, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:29:00 pm »
Welcome Matt. We have quite a few members from the British Isles but I can't think of many from Scotland. Looking forward to seeing some of your creations. Pull up a seat around the campfire and join in.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:53:03 pm »
Welcome to PA, Matt.  It'll be interesting to see what your environment has to offer. 

Interesting about your shooting.  What are regulations like in Scotland? 
Look forward to seeing your work.

1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:14:27 am »
Welcome Matt, I think you will enjoy it here. Look forward to seeing some of your bows. Ya I use to use my little sister as a target. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ArrowStorm

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:14:06 pm »
Where I live the most common wood here is sycamore maple they grow like weeds but the wood is brittle. Then we have Common ash and I have a wych elm in ma garden. Allso have hazel for arrows but no flint.
In Scotland you have to own land to shoot on or have permission from the landowner as we little public land to shoot on. No bow hunting but you can shoot rabbit and pigeon with a slingshot which seams illogical to me.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 04:24:35 am »
Where I live the most common wood here is sycamore maple they grow like weeds but the wood is brittle. Then we have Common ash and I have a wych elm in ma garden. Allso have hazel for arrows but no flint.
In Scotland you have to own land to shoot on or have permission from the landowner as we little public land to shoot on. No bow hunting but you can shoot rabbit and pigeon with a slingshot which seams illogical to me.

I live in County Durham and am always up in Scotland climbing, running in the mountains or fishing. In fact i'm off up to Portpatrick for a fishing trip this weekend. Whereabouts are you? Maybe we could meet up.
The sycamore will make great bows, heat treating turns it into a great bow wood. Ash, wych elm are both great and elder is a bit special :)

Offline ArrowStorm

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 05:31:06 pm »
I'm in Campbeltown down in the mull of kintyre.