Author Topic: hazel as core?  (Read 3567 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
hazel as core?
« on: October 30, 2016, 02:04:49 pm »
Hi Everyone,

been reading Karpowicz' book and I notice he lists maple (various), apple, cherry and hop-hornbeam as suitable cores.  He also indicates there may be others  - they need to be sheer-resistant but not too heavy - so for a light or medium hornbow, would hazel work - its homogenous, straight and knot-free, glues really well and accepts heat-treatment ?

mikekeswick

Re: hazel as core?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 04:11:43 am »
Don't use prunus avium.....I've spoken with Adam and he told me that he didn't recommend using cherry until you have a few bows under your belt.
Umm hazel.....It is one of the woods I've been toying with trying for a while now. It should work but personally I still get the ebee geebees about it...I think it isn't dense/hard enough...dunno for sure and the only way to find out is to try it :) I've broken a few cores now thinking that other woods would work well....the only other wood that I have total confidence in is hornbeam (European). I have however just finished a light Magyar bow that has an ash core. It isn't as strained as a Turkish bow and seems to be holding up well. I'll post pictures soon.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: hazel as core?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 07:25:40 am »
OOh , Ash: I have some ash the right size for a core just cut - very green, might try and find a bucket big enough to soak it next weekend ;D

Regarding hazel, it fits very nicely, but, as Del likes to point out, it can have a nasty tendency to crysal, hence my question, and, I just happen to have an absolutely beautiful 60" length of air-dried hazel.

Pictures of the Magyar would be much appreciated