Author Topic: magyar core  (Read 7015 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
magyar core
« on: November 04, 2016, 01:30:31 pm »
OK, so I've read Karpowicz, drooled over the various bows on the forum and searched the Internet.  I am really confused as to how the Magyar core is made. My closest bet is that the core is built, not heat-formed.  A 5 piece core, straight limbs reflexed at the handle which is glued on top of a (butt) joint between the limbs to strengthen it. The sijahs are then glued on top of (no v-splice) the limbs.

How close am I?

Offline bubby

Re: magyar core
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 02:29:09 pm »
The ones i have seen have a vee splice at all junctions
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 02:43:59 pm »
The best joints are v-splices. The handle splices between 4 and 5 inches long. The tip splices about 3 inches long. The tips are male sections and the ends of the riser piece also. Cut them as good as you can then make them as close to perfect as possible by hand. If there are still any gaps that show light then steam them for 10 minutes and clamp until cool. It is useful to lightly groove the joints as well. Use thin glue to size the parts, enough coats until the wood is glossy. Then thicker glue for the actual glue-up. Wait until the glue has gelled before lightly clamping.

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 02:55:13 pm »
I guess they didn't v-splice historically but that seems to be what the current magyar bowyers do most of the time?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 06:33:48 pm »
OK, thanks guys, v-splices are the best solution for the joints. Am I correct about the straight limbs  - is the reflex only found at the grip and sijah?

Offline Tc

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 06:40:24 pm »
It depends. Yes most of the time we use v-splices. It does not need a long, perfect piece of wood. But if I have a suitable piece of lath I like to bend it. It is neither easier, nor more difficult, it just different and yes more authentic......

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 06:58:00 pm »
Thanks TC, is that just a rectangular cross-section lath? What sort of dimension are they?

Offline Tc

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 09:05:15 pm »
Yes, it is. It is about 4,5cm x 1,2 cm x 145cm. Maple.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 07:03:18 am »
That's really useful info; thanks Tc

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 04:14:08 am »
Finally I have found some apple that is suitable for a 5 piece core, its been cut for 18 months, so, will I need to soak it for a few weeks, or is that not necessary?

The pieces for the bending section, are they constant width and constant thickness, or do they taper at all?  Mine will be a little narrow at 35mm max width. 

Should I plane the core into a rectangular section, or leave the outer surface intact and go with a convex belly?