Author Topic: Osage and Stone Point  (Read 26725 times)

Offline BarredOwl

Osage and Stone Point
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:17:49 pm »
First kill with primitive equipment.   I built this bow in April 2015.  Hunted hard with it last year and just couldn't get any luck to go my way at all.  3rd time out this year and with less than 8 hours total hunting time killed this 8 point from the ground.  Bow is 55" and 60# @26".  Arrow is bamboo with knife river stone point all crafted by myself from cutting the tree down to knapping the point and straightening the bamboo.  I couldn't be happier with the way it all came together after all these years of wanting to do this.  Double lung shot with the off side skin stopping my stone point from exiting the far side of the deer. 

Offline BarredOwl

Re: Osage and Stone Point
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 02:54:09 pm »
One that shows the bow a little better.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 02:59:35 pm »
That is such a great accomplishment, and also having enough confidence in your equipment to use only it and nothing else. Congratulations there aren't a lot of people in this world anymore that could do that if their life depended on it. Takes a lot of preparation, practice, and just plain good hunting to get that  checked off your bucket list.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 03:03:17 pm »
Oh I almost forgot. That's one dang nice buck there to boot. Congrats again BarredOwl. Well done
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 03:12:56 pm »
Thanks BJ.  I see congratulations are in order for your first as well.  I'll never forget the sight of that deer turning to run and seeing the turkey fletched arrow stuck in him. The sun was hitting it just right and with the adrenaline pumping through my brain it was a very vivid image that will last a long time in my memory. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 04:17:59 pm »
Congrats,very nice buck/ bow/ arrow and shot. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 06:32:54 pm »
whew, ,, congrats thats a nice deer, and nice bow too,, I could see the sunlight on that arrow when you desribed it,, congrats and many more to come,,  :)

ok how bout a few more details,,??
how far was the shot,,??
how far did he go etc,, ??
also I love that kind of bow,, you make it look very effective,,
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:36:44 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 07:15:44 pm »
I love seeing post like this, just doesn't get any better than that. Congrats, good to see your dedication and skill payed off in a big way.  And that is a fine buck to boot, very happy for ya.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JustJake

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 07:59:29 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS!  You should be proud. Nice buck, great story, great accomplishment.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 08:10:18 pm »
Congratulations!  Awesome accomplishment.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 08:39:38 pm »
Congratulations. I hope by next year I will have a all primitive equipment.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 08:39:54 pm »
Wow, what a deer.  Congratulations on a great journey with a very happy ending

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 08:44:53 pm »
It was a little under 10 yard shot.  He went about 200 yards all together and just made it across a small creek before he piled up.  The rut was hotter than I've probably ever seen it that morning.  I'm sure I was seeing some of the same bucks twice but if they would have all been different bucks I probably saw 15 bucks from 8:30 am till I shot this one at 11:48.  At one point I had a family of 4 bobcats hunting in a brush pile nearby.  It was just one of those days that never got boring. 

It was too warm to hang him at home so I took him to the local locker.  I was hoping the point was still in him and told them I wanted to try to recover it when we got him gutted.  They just couldn't believe it when we pulled it out.  They couldn't imagine anyone hunting with a stone point or a homemade bow.  They were completely amazed.   

Offline TheSingingBowyer

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 09:43:03 pm »
Awesome! That point is fantastic. My knapping skills are little at best, but I hope to work on it this summer. Congratulations! That is a wonderful accomplishment.
Chad K. Slagle

Offline chief deer

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 09:55:37 pm »
Nice job. No better feeling.