Author Topic: Started Knapping this Afternoon  (Read 15888 times)

Bishop

Started Knapping this Afternoon
« on: March 05, 2008, 11:24:35 pm »
I took my first stab at knapping this afternoon, I started with a small hunk of Novaculite and ended up with a smaller hunk of Novaculite with a bunch of hinge and step fractures in it...lol...i did get some good flakes and one of those really good "cracks" you get and the sound lets you know it was a good flake....plus i had a heck of a lot of fun and i was not bleeding when i stopped.....I have a decent basic dvd i watched through once so im gonna watch it agan and try to soak in some more info and get back at it tomorrow, the only problem  i can see is that this is really going to slow down the progress on the two bows i have about half done.. ;D
Bishop

Offline david w.

Re: Started Knapping this Afternoon
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:30:25 pm »
great knapping is addicting ;D

thats good you didnt leak ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:32:22 pm »
We all need more hobbies ;D - bows, knapping, arras, quivers. Work sure does get in the way..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 11:32:48 pm »
Just make sure you do it outside or in a very well ventilated space. Silicosis poisoning kills!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 12:52:34 am »
No blood!!  Redo   ;D

Keep at it Bishop.  (Listen to me, sounding like a pro   ;D ).  It's kind of funny, I was showing my work off at work that I keep on my desk, and a girl there gave me a big old chunk of glass slag to make here a point from. 

Be sure and post pics.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 02:19:05 am »
Yeah! I tried to get a few ZZZ's in myself this afternoon!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:54:37 am »
Way to go Bishop, I need to learn this skill also hope to sit down with some of the guys at Pappy's and get some instuction.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:57:13 am »
most of the cherts and flints will cut ya eventually. but if you start playing with obsidian and glass. prepare to invest in band aids ;D keep it up and have fun

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 12:29:46 pm »
Way to go. Keep at it- get about thirteen tons of rock and beat it into gravel, and by then you'll be starting to figure it out. There's nothing like the sound of a good flake popping off.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Bishop

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 01:53:10 pm »
 thanks guys. as soon as i get something that comes close to looking like a point i will post pics.
 I read some instructions on making a copper tipped pressure flaker which had a 3/8 male air compressor fitting inserted into the handle with a set screw installed so you can just feed copper wire when needed instead of making one with the wire glued into the handle, the instructions didn't have pics so either i was seeing it wrong in my head or my local home store didn't have the right kind of fitting. do any of you do anything like this? is there something else i can use besides the fitting?
thanks for the encouragement and any advice
Bishop

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 10:36:14 pm »
 Bishop, I just drill a hole in the stick and epoxy the ground wire in the end. It takes a while to wear it down. When it does, I just grab it with vice-grips and pull it out. Then I just put another piece in.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 10:47:27 pm »
Mine is an old wooden broom handle with a hole drilled in the end for whatever size wire, a set screw tapped into the wood on the side (don't overtighten ;D) and a peice of bailing wire tied around the end to keep it from splitting - prolly made a hundred arrow heads with it so far :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Bishop

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 03:28:45 am »
i was under the impression that they when the copper wore out you had to thss them and make new ones, not the first or last time ill be wrong..lol.... i picked up plenty materials to make them the way you describe so ill make a few and should be good to go.
thanks guys
Bishop

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 03:40:11 pm »
Mine's the same as Cowboy's except I use duct tape instead of baling wire..... :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 05:41:29 pm »
Mine are the same but I use fiberglass and epoxy resin and or carbon fiber.

David T