Author Topic: Character handle wrap  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Keenan

Character handle wrap
« on: March 06, 2008, 01:44:22 am »
 Here is a bow that I'm currently working on that has alot of bumps and isn't real cemetrical so I thought it would be a good place to do a buildalong of a different kind. You can see that this bow handle also has a few dips that will be tricky.
  For this I like to use a lighter weight finer grained leather. You need something that you can stretch just a little to conform to the contours. 
  First I cut a square that is slightly larger then needed. Then wrap and stretch to get a general layout. I use a pen to mark out the rough shape for the first cutout. I first cut the length, and on this one I will do a tapered end just for some more character. I mark both ends top and bottom one side only then just fold in half when I cut.    Keenan
  I use a wheel style fabric cutter and the wife's backing board when she'd not looking.  ;D    Keenan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Keenan

Re: Character handle wrap
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:03:05 am »
Next I wrap and stretch fairly tight and mark the width. I trim it slightly long at first then trim it to where there is about 3/16 gap all the way when pulled fairly snug. Also pay close attention to where you palce it on the bow while checking the width. The varience of thickness and width will change the shape of the trim out.
  On this one I will run the stich on the side right about where my finger tips rest. I've done this on a few bows now and I'm really liking how it works. It seems easier to fit and stretch as well as I like being able to use the stitching as a locator for my finger tips.
  When I'm comfortable with the fit. I will double it over and punch the slits with a flat hole leather punch. By puching bothe sides at once you will ensure the same amout of holes and line up as well.
  Be sure to use a block as backing and NOT your wifes sewing table >:D >:D When you punch one set of hole just index on the last hole and punch again to the end.
 For lacing I like to use the same material. Premade lacing from the store generally to thick and often don't match so I just take a straight edge and the roller cutter and make my own.    Keenan

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 02:16:08 am »
  There are alot of different stich patterns that can be used but on this I will just stay with a straight looping pattern. I start on one end leaving a little tail of lacing and stretch and tighten a little as I go. Always checking to see if the wrap is positioned where I want. 
  When I get to the end I will go back through and tighten then fasten that end. Then I switch the needle to the other end and tighten back the other way and loop it off and trim.
  Then I put just a drop of supper glue on the lacing end where it is tucked under.
 Next I roll back the points on the sides and put a little glue there as well.
  I will do the arrow rest tomarrow.    Keenan

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 02:19:35 am »
 Here are a few more;     Keenan

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:51:56 pm »
Thanks Gordon,  Here is how i do the arrow rest. For this one I will use antler. It's not a tip but just a piece cut at an angle and the top rounded off on the belt sander.
 After shaping the antler, I position it on the bow to find the best placement. By this time you should have shot the bow enough to know where you will have good arrow flight.  Next I mark where to cut the leather and I use a razor to make a horizontal slit about 1/2 long. If your piece of antler is smaller then a smaller slit. Keep in mind the leather will stretch some.
  Now that the slit is cut I insert a file end and pull up slightly to stretch the opening a little. and leave it in there for a few minutes to help shape things. then I work the antler tip in, using a small detail file if nessesary to work the leather up on the antler.
  After I'm sure of the fit and I let things stretch in for few minutes I just pull the antler out and add a few drops of super glue into the opening. Not on the antler because you will have to slide it down in there, and if you put the glue on the antler you will get it everywhere.
  Bone and antler can be slightly noisy and ware on arrows, so I will put a small strip for leather on the top. Keenan

Tried to post the pics,but it says the upload is full. Maybe I put to many up for the day ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:00:30 pm »
 Ok I'll try these pics again; Keenan

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:46:38 pm »
 Thanks Justin here are a few more pics.   Keenan