Author Topic: Tung oil  (Read 2150 times)

Offline DC

Tung oil
« on: December 11, 2016, 06:21:06 pm »
When you are putting on multiple coats of tung or whatever oil are most of the coats just enough to dampen the bow? The first couple you apply liberally according to the instructions but after that, just a slight sheen??

Offline PatM

Re: Tung oil
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 06:31:24 pm »
Thin coats. Even a liberal first coat gets mostly wiped off.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 06:47:13 pm »
I made a pecan board bow last year that I use tung oil with a citrus solvent & slightly heated the bow and with that citrus solvent seemed to penetrate better then just plain tung oil but put about 7 thin coats on.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 07:56:00 pm »
Thin coats. Even a liberal first coat gets mostly wiped off.

+1 and many of them
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:00:20 am »
I rub the first coat right into the wood, lots of pressure. Its an oil finish not a surface finish. If you wipe it on and wipe it right back off you aren't gaining the benefit of an oil finish.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 08:49:03 am »
I rub the first coat right into the wood, lots of pressure. Its an oil finish not a surface finish. If you wipe it on and wipe it right back off you aren't gaining the benefit of an oil finish.
+1 on Pearly's statement... Oil is made to penetrate the wood... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 10:11:17 am »
Do any of you thin the first coat or two? I noticed a couple of sites recommended that.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 11:25:43 am »
No.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 02:44:22 pm »
I found that citrus solvent & Tung oil by  mistake I built a wooden counter top for our kitchen & my wife was doing research on food safe finishes & found it as a food safe water repellent finish ,I have used tung oil on many peaces of furniture  but this citrus solvent tung oil seems to penetrate a lot deeper you get a slightly darker color in the wood because of the deeper penetration , I'm going to use it as a finish on the osage bow I'm working on now  & see how it works out , it was originaly designed as a natural flooring finish , so I figure if it was designed to be walked on all day it would work for other wood products.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 03:11:38 pm »
Not all Tung oil products are food safe. Most contain toxic ingredients like solvents and/or chemical driers.  Give it a sniff test first.  I would be more inclined to use Mineral oil or Walnut oil. 

PS. just like most things we use on our skin and food products, the poisons are rarely listed in the ingredients list......... >:D >:D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:19:32 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 04:26:11 pm »
Not trying to side track DC thread but that's a good point not all Tung oils are the same some take more coats to get absorbed  etc , & some seemed to show the grain better then others, the one I used is food safe.