Author Topic: Florida Meet And Greet  (Read 5318 times)

Offline Orrum

Florida Meet And Greet
« on: November 20, 2016, 09:11:46 am »
Wow my lovely Susan and I plus her daughter and son (4 yr old and almost 5) went to Mullets house yesterday!!!    What a great day!!!   We met Steve also, he's on here somewhere, give a shout please. Sorry I g or got your forum moniker...

Eddie and Cathy are great hosts and really wonderfull friendly people!!!    We looked at bows in various stages and types, really cool! I shot a bow snd yes hit the taget all three times. Sadly if my target area was a deer there would hsve been misses only but I did hit the target!!   Eddie gave me a awesome aged over 6 ft tall Ossge STAVE!!#!    He also gave me a scraper to start the cleanup of the back. This thing is very straight and seems knot free. It bends backward a little toward the back. That a good thing!  Then we started knapping, Eddie gave me a preform of Pedernales glint, so sweet with no concrete or fossils. I made a awesome tomahawk head with his help showing me how to aggressively, I mean savagely setting up platforms!  The man is evil with a abrader! I am trading it for two red cedar trees when I get home. I will post pics!!!   

Then my lil grandson got a bow!!!  Steve made him a new string from scratch! It's nice, he had a little pvc bow that shoots wooden dowel arrows with Styrofoam on the ends. The self nocks were splitting, Eddie fixed those. I am telling you the man is genorousity to a fault.

Then the daughter got to hitting rocks with a billet and both Eddie and Steve actually taught her to knap and she finished a point!!!

If yall remember I wanted to get the city kid dirty, bruised and bleeding, no blood but the rest happened and he loved it. I held s slab of wonderstone and he banged st it until he had a tomahawk! Hey it would of worked in the old days! 

So much fun in one day for everyone. The lovely Susan hafts my knives and she just loved watching all her family trying to chip rock and get cut! Plus Eddies backyard is all a garden!

I made a haul, I also got a huge fiber optic glass solid thing!!!   That's is sharp glass!  Plus a bunch of nice spalls and wait for it....a garbage bag full of goose and turkey feathers!##

The whole afternoon Eddie was smoking and grilling for us too, had a great supper!

Thank you Mr Mullet!!!

Thread of my Osage bow and pics of it and the tomahawk to follow, gotta drive back to NC today!!

Primitive Archer rocks!!!
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Florida Meet And Greet
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:47:07 pm »
Yeah, for an absolutely unmitigated jerk, mullet is a great guy!   >:D  And I am willing to bet for every smile he put on the kid's faces, Eddie will smile a dozen times. 

Steve;s moniker is Parnell.  He's another one for being generous. 

Now imagine multiplying that good time by several hundred souls and put it up in a beautiful hollow in Tennessee.....the Tennessee Classic.  Do it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:36:17 pm »
If you don't have pics, it didn't happen.   ;)
  I've known Eddie and Cathy for many years and always look forward to seeing them again when I can. Usually it is just at the Tenn. Classic but sometimes in SC at Chris Cade's farm.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:16:00 am »
Sounds like you had a great time, not hard to do with Cathy and Eddie, then throw in Steve and you got a real party. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Orrum

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:05:01 am »
Hey folks I will have pics of my Mullet gifts today!! The stave and tomahawk r awesomeness!!!!  A incredible piece of flint it is folks!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 01:29:56 am »

Taking the family to Eddie and Kathy, or Cathy, can't remember which, is always better than getting whacked by the financial trap of the big rat, in Orlando.  Much more educational, and the food is always better.  Even the cheap beer.  Yes he is very generous, indeed.  I hope he gave you a better bucket of flakes, and rock than the bucket he me years ago! ;)  But he made up for it later.  Shoot I even got a bow!  The food is always good, and good conversations, and good friendships.  It is always a good idea to stop by if you are in the area. ;)  Glad your family had the opportunity, to meet and greet.  I am sure your kids will be asking when are we going back to that place in Florida, where the man and lady, and the guy who made the little bow,  live? Steve is a really guy for sure. He made a neat little quickie survival bow of about 40-45 pounds, out of a small limb or stave sized piece of Australian pine, which is actually in the hickory family, and not a pine at all.  I had always thought them to be too brittle, but this was a neat, and fully functional, little bow.  Glad you were able to have the experience. :)

Wayne

Offline Orrum

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 08:14:36 am »
You r correct Wayne, it's way way better than Mouse Land!!!  Eddies house is just plain old interesting!  I got home from the Doctor too late to take pics of my Mullet gifts but today I am home so I will git er dun!!!

Offline Orrum

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 06:58:04 pm »
Whew I have had a time with my phone which is my only way to use the site. But I got it liked I hope. So no pics of the awesome tomahawk that Eddie gave me the Pedernales to make it and also set up some very difficult plat forms that made it very easy to take great flakes!!   I gave it to the guy for two cedar trees that were already cut and mostly dried!!!

However I have the pics of the stave of Osage!!!   It's over 6 feet tall and very dry!!! I will start a thread on the bow build too! So here goes, I can only load one at a time.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 07:00:51 pm »
That one is sideways showing the back at the left so it has some reflex correct?

Now for the next one.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 07:02:49 pm »
That is the back, see it says back! LOL Eddie wrote that on there.

Next one.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 07:04:57 pm »
That is the belly. See Eddie is on the job !!! He wrote that one too!!

He gave me a scraper so I have to scrap the back down right?

Offline Orrum

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 07:06:03 pm »
I want to make it a full 72 inch bow, is that doable?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 06:18:09 pm »
Yep, it's doable but overkill for osage.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:56 pm »
Overkill unless you're my height.

Congrats, looks like a great time was had by all!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 09:55:36 pm »
EdwardS, you're probably right, Bill is a tall, Gentleman.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?