Author Topic: Hupa Bow Help  (Read 4228 times)

Offline CamSkye

Hupa Bow Help
« on: November 27, 2016, 02:02:21 am »
Hello all, I just signed up today and I am new to the forum. So my question is how exactly are the bent tab nocks done on a hupa style bow? Currently the bow is 40 inches long, 1.5 inches at the handle, 2.25 ish inches at mid limb, then tapering to 5/8ths of an inch at the nocks and is made of Juniper that was cut in Oregon. I suppose I could also provide pictures if that would help you guys see what it looks like to better help me. I have looked all over online and can't seem to find anything on how exactly it is done. The only thing I have come across on here is that it is done by cutting a kerf in the wood. I understand what kerfing is but I don't know if I should cut the kerfs, should I cut them under the nock, above the nock, on the back of the bow or the belly? This is the last step I need to do before the sinew backing and I really hope someone can help me as I have been researching 24/7 and keep coming up empty handed. Thank you in advance and once the bow is complete I will definitely post pics of it.
Cameron

Offline bubby

Re: Hupa Bow Help
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 02:57:54 am »
You can do the bent nocks with sinew, a quick search of wizardgoat and lofflerchuck and you will find examples
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 09:46:35 am »
Welcome to PA. I've not built a Hupa bow or tried a bent tab nock but if anyone would know it would probably be wizardgoat or lofflerchuck as bubby said.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 10:54:13 am »
As stated, they can be done with sinew. Extend the sinew on the tips by about an inch and loop it into the belly. It's tough to mould them when wet, when the sinew begins to set up a bit they can be shaped a little easier. Last time I used those little bread bag wires to keep the sinew tabs in position. When dry, you can wrap them to make them stiffer and look better.
I recently did bent tabs on a horn bow. I carved a small notch in the back on the bow about 3/4" from the tip. I got a very sharp bend. It's reinforced with the sinew backing.

Offline CamSkye

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 12:32:11 pm »
I appreciate the help guys but I'm still a little confused. To my understanding you are supposed to create a few kerfs/cuts on the tips and then using dry heat or steam bend them up. Then you add the sinew. Or can you do it strictly with sinew? I thought heat was involved in this process to bend them up and the kerfs are there because it is such a sharp bend and would otherwise break. Thanks again.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 12:59:43 pm »
There is a mention of this on page 170 of TBB1. They cut a "V" notch on the back and belly about an inch down from the tip. Then they bent the tip back, probably with heat, and wrapped the "V" notched area with sinew. They cut the nock just above the sinew wrap.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 03:28:09 pm »
As far as I know, Hupa bows were basically recurved / reflexed paddle bows.
The V notch weakens the wood so the bend happens very sharply, steam or heat gun would work.
Miwok bows had sinew hooks, that extend off the tips of the bow. Chuck has made some very nice ones. Google search Miwok bows, and I'm sure pics of Chucks bows will
Pop up

Offline CamSkye

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 05:05:50 pm »
Thanks again for your help guys I appreciate it.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 11:54:00 pm »
All Hupa bows I have seen have the bent tab nock. There is the best description in TBB V1 in the western bows chapter. I posted a Hupa replica bow I made a couple weeks back. It should be a couple pages in by now. I shaped the nock to it's final shape then cut a v notch about 50% through the wood. After steaming it for 10 min I bend it back. Hold it there till cool to maintain shape. The nock now is very weak, but after you extend a layer or two of sinew over the tip to the belly and wrap the nock with sinew or cover it with rawhide it will be unbreakable. Hope that makes sense.

Offline CamSkye

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 12:56:41 am »
Yes that does make sense thank you for the help. I'm the guy who emailed you the other day regarding my Modoc bow by the way.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 06:22:43 pm »
I was perusing Youtube today and i remembered this thread,when i saw this.thought you might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSym0ZTst_A

Offline CamSkye

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 03:21:37 pm »
Sorry Traxx Youtube isn't letting me reply to your comment. Yep I am Primitive teen.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 01:15:01 pm »
Hey there...
We ought to get together sometime.

Offline CamSkye

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 10:38:53 pm »
Yea that would be cool. Maybe some time I will message you when I'm not busy.