Author Topic: #10 Interesting deal  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
#10 Interesting deal
« on: November 21, 2016, 03:32:06 pm »
We got our first freeze this morning. It was 27 degrees. I hunted a property that I've hunted a lot in the past, but have only hunted twice this season. It's on the Red River, about six miles before it converges with the Cumberland. We tend to see two different types of bucks on this property: big heavy bucks with great racks (prior to last Friday's 8-pointer, my two largest archery bucks were killed on this property) and big bodied deer with gnarly racks. When I say gnarly racks, I mean they tend to be four or five points, very narrow and no brow tines.
This morning was deathly still and quiet. It was one of those mornings where you can hear your own breathing and it seems as though blinking is like doing jumping jacks in the tree stand. I was on the stand at 5:00 a.m. I did not hear a peep until 5:28 when a lone coyote yelped along the river and within seconds a chorus of 20 or more joined in. It was a bit eerie.

At first light the cows began to bay as they made their way across a huge pasture across the Red River to their watering pond. The turkey followed them, gather up as they came off the roost.

The property owner told me that he'd seen a 12 pointer this season, so I held out hope that he would pay me a visit. I only saw squirrels until 7:10 when a deer quickly walked through the woods to my front about 100 yards out. Then, at 7:20 I saw a big bodied deer with a long dark coat of hair coming my way. Instantly, I recognized it as one of those gnarly racked bucks, but he also had two huge lumps on his back. The area was swollen and dark. I thought it through a few times then decided to go ahead and take the shot.

He came in on the trail I was hunting, a crossing point on the ridge that naturally canalizes them. As I drew he stopped and I took the shot.

I always use bright yellow feathers and yellow or white cap wraps. I do so because I like to clearly see where the arrow hits the deer and as they run you can see how deep the penetration and confirm the hit location. I ran out of yellow feathers and cap wraps, so I fletched my arrows with red and black barred feathers. I say all of this to say, I could not see where the arrow hit the deer and he ran like a scalded dog when I hit him.

My instincts told me that his reaction was like a deer hit in the shoulder or neck, but he was at about seven yards - no way I made a bad shot. I watched him race away until he was out of sight at 100+ yards. I assumed he was not double lunged!

I gave him until 9:00 a.m. and it was killing me. I hated not being able to see where I hit. His reaction vexed me. I climbed down and looked for my arrow.

Nothing!

I saw good blood sprayed on the backside of him. About three or four yards further I saw pink frothy blood - clearly a lung. From there I had good blood on both sides of the deer but no arrow. I could not find the arrow. I followed the blood trail for about 150 yards and there he lay, double lunged. I never found the arrow and I walked the blood trail three times. I wanted my broad head.

As I inspected the deer I saw the huge knots. He had been shot with a gun through the back. I was amazed that his back wasn't broken. The bullet went clean through both backstraps and appeared to clip bone.

I am going out of town for Thanksgiving so I went ahead and skinned him and deboned him. When I got to his back puss and juice squirted from the wounds. It was disgusting. It stunk to high Heaven. I lost a big portion of both straps. Nevertheless, this deer was for the property owner. I always give them a deer, so tick that one off.

Offline Parnell

Re: #10 Interesting deal
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 04:42:13 pm »
I'd say you put that buck out of a lot of pain.  Shame about the meat but sounds like some was put to use.

Stories of these creatures resiliency are always fascinating.
1’—>1’

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:12:09 pm »
 8) Thanks for sharing and congrats.
I wonder if he ran that far cause you
were right there in his face?
No matter all ended well except for
the puss  :o ??? >:(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 08:16:44 pm »
Thanks for the story Jimmy. And for takin us along.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 09:48:57 pm »
Good job putting that one out of its misery.  My Dad taught me to do the same thing if I saw an injured deer.  I've only had to do it once.  I would be concerned about the rest of the meat being tainted from the infection. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 04:24:10 am »
Congrats Jimmy, I have had a couple like that over the years and the infection is usually pretty localized, I would just smell the rest of the meat and if it smells fine feed the folks at the Classic with it. >:D ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 09:53:26 am »
Congrats Jim on your shot and recovery.Story was nice too.It can be amazing how tough these deer can be.I brain tan each deers' hide and many scars on some of them from previous shots they've taken.
It's a bit chillier here too but the deer are moving good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 10:09:31 am »
Good thing to do for this unfortunate buck.  I'll bet the deer there wish you were back in Afg.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 04:57:47 pm »
Interesting story,  and nice photo.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell