Author Topic: Anybody have back fusion and come out good  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Anybody have back fusion and come out good
« on: November 21, 2016, 08:34:54 pm »
My back has been going downhill for years, I was dragging a deer the other day and jerked when I should have pulled and the back went out. After a few days the pain got so bad I couldn't stand it and I went to the ER. The folk in the ER Xrayed my back, explained my condition and directed me to a neurosurgeon. I still have to get the MRI and nerve function tests but I am showing weakness in my left foot, a bad sign.

All I read are horror stories about people getting back fusion, anybody have good results from the surgery?

Offline Wind D Ranch

Re: Anybody have back fusion and come out good
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:48:14 pm »
I had neck fusion, and I'm glad I did.  I was at the point where the nerve pain shooting down my arm was so intense I couldn't stand it.  I was afraid to shoot my bow for a while after the surgery but the doctor said it would be fine as long as I worked into it slowly.  It has now been a couple of years and no regrets.  I have a little trouble looking up trees now, I have to cock my head sideways but that is a small price to pay.  I also have some ruptured and bulging discs in my back but the doctor won't touch them until absolutely necessary.
I wish you the best. 

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:36:39 pm »
Back and neck surgery has come a long way
in the last 15 -20 years.  :)
I have a few friends that have had fusion and would
agree with Wind.I think there is disc repair also,
Have you tried a chiropractor?
It won't help if the damage is excessive but
I would at least try it before surgery.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:43:07 pm »
My mom had neck fusion with good results. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:50:55 pm »
My problem is L5S1, degenerative old age stuff,  a number of injuries over the years and some nerve damage.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 01:58:02 am »

Most of the people that I have talked to that have had it, were not happy with it.  It is permanent, and irreversible.  My Cousin's had her back done, and is very happy with it.  I would think long and hard, about alternatives first, like the DRX9,000.  I had my lower back done with this technique, and so glad I did.  I almost had bone on bone, the disc was so flat.  I do not have the problems I had before,  I need to get my neck done next, fingers go numb now and then.  I have bone spurs, and arthritis, in my neck and back.
     The DRX9,000 is a spinal decompression machine, that is computer guided.  I fell asleep on it.  Of course, I fell asleep in the MRI machine, that sounds like you are in side of a cement truck that is having dents knocked out of it.  But it does work.  Ask your Chiropractor, if he knows any Chiropractors that have it.  I would highly recommend it, be fore going the fusion route.  And it is a lot less expensive!

Wayne

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 09:30:13 am »
I tried the drx 9000 machine early in on my back trouble journey, it didn't do a thing for me except alert me to the fact that I was stiff as a board and needed to institute a back exercise program of stretching and strengthening. My exercise program has kept me pain free for 10 years. This last injury has brought a bunch of things to light, I have spondylolsis (slipped disc) and spondylolisthesis (bone on bone) in my L5S1 area.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:34:33 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 10:47:50 am »
My father in law has had 5. The last one he had the first redone, and a titanium cage put in. His only complaint about the cage was that he could feel the bolts. A year later he went back in and had the bolts removed. He has had about every type of surgery done, including them going in from the front. He is better off now than he has been. Recovery on the last one was pretty quick, and he is doing better than I have ever seen him. Medical technology has come a long way.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 12:53:21 am »
My wife has had 6 major C-spine surgeries over the years. She is still walking and talkin and has head movement.. surgeries have come a long way. If the Doc does not talk with you and talks at you I would suggest a 2nd opinion!

Offline darinputman

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 01:00:32 am »
Sorry to hear that Eric, hope you get some relief soon.