Author Topic: what size horn?  (Read 5284 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
what size horn?
« on: November 22, 2016, 07:23:51 am »
OK, so I'm going for a Magyar, 100cm across the limbs, with 20cm siyahs - what size horn would be good for this - I was thinking of 70cm length?  As I understand it I can get two horn strips from the outer curve of the horn but I have to use the outside OR the inside strip but not the outer strip AND the inner strip, so I need to get two horns?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: what size horn?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:20:34 am »
Oh, and how many red-deer leg tendons? 

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:14:29 am »
I think the rule of thumb is 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 so thickness of core horn an finished sinew is basically equal
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:05:15 am »
Thanks Bubby, but how many tendons will it take to make a 2mm layer of sinew 100cm long by 4cm wide?  Especially since half this layer will be glue?  I have found a supplier for the tendons at a good price but I do not know how many to order  :(  My supplier will be sending me wet tendon, frozen, for me to dry and process.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:24:44 am by stuckinthemud »

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 02:32:49 pm »
Yes you need two horns. You will be very lucky to get good enough horn to get two strips per horn, I've had quite a few and never had one where the outer cracks didn't go too far in to get two strips. Always get the longest horn you can get. Once you have reduced the outer layer to sound horn you may well lose a fair bit of length. You need extra length to hold the strips at the ends while grooving them as well so extra length never goes amiss!
How many tendons depends on how long they are! I'd get at least 15 as a guess. Plan on around 100 grams of processed sinew.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 04:20:09 pm »
Might contact james parker for the horn he might have some available still
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 07:31:24 am »
Thanks Mike, I will try 15 and see how I go. Thanks Bubby, I did check James' classified but since I am in the UK then most likely I will go with Highland Horn

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 04:43:45 am »
If it is Highland Horn you are using then definitely get the longest horns he has.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 04:45:26 am »
Whereabouts are you in England? I'm up north in County Durham.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 06:58:38 am »
Near Cardiff, sorry, actually about half an hour away from Caldicot - did the bow-building weekend with Yeomanbowman ever take-off?  stumbled over a thread on Paleo Planet yesterday about an event a few years back?

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 03:06:45 am »
Yes I went to it and got some lovely dogwood staves out of a little wood next to the road. I wish more people would organize these sort of get togethers but they never seem to get off the ground then keep going in this country? Maybe I should take the bull by the horns and see if its possible to organize something for next year. A friend of mine has a perfect farm with loads of space and woods....

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 06:24:36 am »
That would be really cool but the problem, as I see it, is the number of bowyers/archers in travelling distance - dunno how many attended at Caldicot but I'm guessing that turn out would be pretty low?