Author Topic: In Remembrance - Dean Torges crossed the Great Divide  (Read 5600 times)

Wildboy

In Remembrance - Dean Torges crossed the Great Divide
« on: November 26, 2016, 08:32:37 pm »
For the others that didn't get the word, I just learned of Dean's passing late yesterday. He was a great writer among his many other accomplishments. In my opinion he wrote the best book on bow making I've ever read, and I've read most of them. We lost a great bowyer and teacher of the craft.

His website has a nice message...

NOVEMBER 6, 2016

DEAN TORGES 1941-2016

On November 4, 2016, Dean Torges crossed the Great Divide. He was a loving husband, father, grandfather and friend and mentor to countless people around the globe. He was a gifted craftsman who would literally hand you the shirt off his back if you chanced to admire it. A number of years ago I shared a memorial written for an elderly friend of mine who had passed and Dean commented that it was the most eloquent valedictory as he had ever read. I share this with you all below, in loving memory of my friend, Dean. — Admin.

To those I leave behind when I go:
Death is nothing at all. It does not really count. I have merely slipped away into the next room. Nothing has happened. Everything remains as it was. I am me, you are you, and the life we lived together is untouched and unchanged. Whatever we were to each other we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name. Speak of me in the easy way you always did. Put no difference in your tone. Wear no forced air of sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the jokes we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me—a little.

Let my name be the household word it always was. Let it be spoken without effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it. Life means all that it has ever meant, the same as it ever was. There is absolute and unbroken continuity. What is death but an unavoidable incident? Why should I be out of your mind because I am out of your sight?

I am but waiting for you—very near—just around he corner.

All is well.
All my love,
Dean"

http://www.bowyersedge.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: In Remembrance - Dean Torges crossed the Great Divide
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 07:28:35 am »
Thanks for that, beautiful.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jimmi the sammi

Re: In Remembrance - Dean Torges crossed the Great Divide
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 01:34:22 pm »
Dean is one of THE "giants" in our community/lifestyle of hand crafted archery and "classical" (a term that he endowed here) hunting.  His sense of humor, his laughter, his willingness to teach, his skull duggery were always a pleasure to enjoy.  Having shared social events, shoots and hunting camps with Dean, I will truly miss his physical company.  But his spirit and his knowledge will continue to be part of our community with his website and his many writings.  His wealth of knowing and friendship continues to emanate from those sources.

Another campfire on the other side, my friend.