Author Topic: Looking for a "primitive" archer teacher near me  (Read 2769 times)

Offline foxtail

Looking for a "primitive" archer teacher near me
« on: November 27, 2016, 11:33:30 am »
Hey everyone.  Im brand new to the site, and just starting my journey in the world of primitive hunting.  Im an ancestral skills practitioner, but Ive been focusing on extensive animal processing, brain and bark tanning, fire, and plants.  Now that I know how to actually use every part of a critter, Im ready to start harvesting them, but I have a lot to learn.

Im wondering if anyone knows a skilled primitive hunter in or near Montana (I live in Ennis) that would be excited to teach me the ropes during this next year?  I have an osage self bow that I built with Paul Rodgers (from outside of San Francisco) that I plan on using, and I will be building several more with him this year I hope.

I have been doing research on backcountry hunting workshops and bow hunting workshops, but most of them are done in the military man vs nature 'surviving the wild' mindset, where your first aid set contains aspirin instead of willow bark and you carry ramen noodles instead of pemmican.  I find it ridiculous and can't seem to find a course that is more on my level - barefoot and happy, with lots of homemade stone age gear.

If anyone has any leads, let me know!

Harmony Cronin
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 02:10:26 pm by Pat B »

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Looking for a "primitive" archer teacher near me
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 01:48:47 pm »
Welcome to PA foxtail.  You might want to start by reading the forum rules.  You can't post items for sale on here.  The trading post is for trading only.  You can talk money through PM's but not on the forum.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 02:13:01 pm »
Welcome to PA Harmony. I hope you can find what you are looking for here on PA. We have folks from all walks of life and levels of experience.
 As per our rules, I have deleted the direct link to your site and sent you a PM.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 09:31:57 am »
Hello,

I am just over the mountains in Emigrant. I would offer to take you out next year but honestly my hunting time is at the will of my family and I often have to change plans last minute.

I know you are looking for another primitive archer to teach you but really any bow hunter can teach you what you need to know. A compound shooter just has a longer range, the rest of the skills are the same. I learned nearly everything I know about hunting by going out in the woods and gaining experience. I messed up a lot, learned a lot, and still have a wonderful time even when I don't kill anything.
 The Gravelly Mountains are over run with elk and are literally in your back yard so finding elk (if thats what you are looking for) should not be too difficult.

Patrick

Offline foxtail

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 08:53:54 pm »
The Gravellys are usually overrun with elk, but not so this year.  Out warm weather really made things strange.  I camped out three days in the Gravellys, hiked all day for 2 days and didn't see a single track or sign, so took to driving the entire north range looking for them.  I ran into 7 groups of hunters, and not a single one had seen even a track, and some had been out a week or more. 

But anyway, Emigrant isn't too far, and Ill actually be out camped in Gardiner a few months the beginning of the year with a project called Buffalo Bridge during the bison hunt, so maybe we can arrange a meet up and see if we might be able to work together?

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:50:56 am »
I would highly recommend that you attend the annual Traditional Bowhunters of Montana gathering at Chico Hot Springs, January 27, 28, 29 2017.  You will meet some of the finest archery hunters in your neck of the woods.  Good folks and a great place to meet those of like mind.  Check it out.  You will not be disappointed!