Author Topic: Heavyweight, high-spine shafts  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Accipiter

Heavyweight, high-spine shafts
« on: November 27, 2016, 01:59:23 pm »
I have 21 arrow shafts that I've collected which are spined too high for me to do much with, so I'd figured I would see if there was any interest. There are 5 hardwood shoots (mock orange, wild rose, and ocean spray) with weights between 500-800 grains and 16 bamboo, which are between 400-650 grains. All are 31-32" long. Some have been straightened (a few of the bamboo have wood nock plugs as well) and the rest are in varying stages of natural straightness - I believe all could make a serviceable arrow with a little work. My homemade spine-tester is not terribly accurate for anything outside of the range I shoot (30-50#), but these are all well above that, maybe 75-110# spine measured at 28".

I don't want to these to go to waste, so if anyone is interested in this grab-bag, I'm be willing to trade cheaply. Ideally a half-dozen quality shafts (don't have to be totally straight/finished) spined 35-45#, or a finished arrow or two, stone hunting point(s), a beaver tail, etc. Just let me know what you've got if you're interested.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heavyweight, high-spine shafts
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 02:28:03 pm »
With cane and hardwood shoots you can reduce the effective spine by up to 10# just because of the natural taper of the shaft and for every inch over 28 another 5# per inch. So, with a 75# spined shaft that is 30" long the effective spine can be closer to 55# or at least it shoot like a 55# spined arrow. This is with a 125gr head. With a heavier head you can reduce by another 5# for each 25grs over the 125gr.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Accipiter

Re: Heavyweight, high-spine shafts
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 12:05:19 am »
Thanks Pat, I know I'm not exploring all the options  :P I've made a few arrows with similar shafts and heavy (160 grn) duplex nail heads, and they all shot far to the right on my bows, plus I have a decent amount of weaker shafting. So, off these go, one way or another!