Author Topic: Fix on a wood recurve  (Read 9052 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Fix on a wood recurve
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:29:57 am »
I would like to repair an heirloom Ben Pearson Old Hickory 500 re curve for a young friend, the bow originally belonged to his late grandfather.  I don't think it pulls more than 35 lbs if that.  My thought is to use real sinew and either epoxy or good waterproof wood glue such as Tite-bond III.  The crack is on the back of the lower limb and is about an inch and a half.  Medically I would class it as a "green stick" fracture - however, in this case, it is an old stick fracture :)  any thoughts are appreciated, also info on a source of real sinew, preferably Native American supplier.  Glue, I got - time, I got.  pretty it up for a wall hanger is an option, make firewood is not :).
Thanks, Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Fix on a wood recurve
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 07:23:37 am »
Does the crack go across the limb or with the limb?  Can you post a picture of it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 09:47:59 am »
Like Clint said, across the back or along the back. Along the back isn't necessarily bad but across the back is probably fatal. Pics will tell.
 If the crack goes across the back I wouldn't want to give it to a kid to use. As a wall hanger it would be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:32:33 pm »
If the crack portion is on the back I would call a "greenstick fracture" as terminal.

Offline Green Mountain Man

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 10:13:19 pm »
Like everyones said,,vertical or horizontal crack?

Me personaly,,and only if its a vertical crack id fill it with Loctite 420,(put glue in the fridge and get it to thickn up aliitle)and id go on ebay and pick up some snake skins for after the crack are fix'd to cover the crack and pretty her up
Just my two cents
To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 10:29:32 pm »
I may get a lot of opposition on this.......... but I think if a gap or crack needs filled and it can not be closed with pressure. then epoxy is the best glue.  CA glue would be the best if the gap can be closed.........
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 10:15:46 am »
I agree with DBar and I would use the slower curing epoxy and not the fast setting stuff.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 11:25:02 am »
The greenstick fracture makes me think the crack extends across the limb and not down along the limb.  I attempted ONE time to repair a bow limb with a break like that using sinew and hide glue.  I should have thrown the sinew and hide glue down for the dog to enjoy and spent the time in meditation and inner reflection.  I would have had the same busted bow, but at least my dog would look at me with love and adoration for thinking of her so highly of her and I would have less frustration and anger.

Take down the measurements of the bow, take lots of photos, work with us and build a reproduction as close as possible.  Retire the antique with love and fond memories. 

Seriously, this is why most of us keep coming back.  Many of us have built far more bows than we care to admit, more than we could possibly spend time shooting, and often have run out of outlets to take them off our hands!  We love problem solving and pitching in our experience to see others gain experience and craft!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:29:03 am by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 12:12:16 pm »
A greenstick fracture is where a young bone bends till it breaks, typically laterally or across grain so i assume the break is across the back and have to agree with JW on his assessment of the situation
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 01:39:29 pm »
Tried to post a photo, but got an error message saying the file is too big.  What is the secret to getting a smaller file? I took the pic with both my phone camera and this iPad and got the same error message.  Bubby  is apparently a better medic than I am😀.  I''m patching the wrong type of break--bad doc😀!  The crack is a grain separation and is only on one side, not through the whole width of the limb.   This bow making stuff seems to be as addictive as black powder shooting, fishing, and good brandy, not to mention chocolate.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 11:34:59 pm »
Hawkdancer i upload pics to photobucket. It's a free storage site and auto resizes the pics
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 12:59:21 pm »
If it is a check(split along the grain on the back) it probably is no problem and can usually be fixed with super glue. If it is a separation in the growth rings along the sides it can be and probably is a big problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 12:44:39 pm »
JW,
Did the pictures come through? 
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 03:41:57 pm »
I have had mixed succss on longitudinal runoff splits by:
1. fill with slow set epoxy. 2: wrap with sinew and hide glue:  3: when dry sand and apply finish. ( here I use clear nail polish, or slow set epoxy and cover with Truoil.
Good luck and good on you for saving this heirloom.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 02:47:10 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas, input and help.  I managed to pm a couple pic to JW, and he felt it best to retire the bow to the wall as an heirloom.  I came on a bunch of fancy exotic wood that will make nice plaque for it so another project to complete when the mavias gauche is cleared to work this spring.  Got some wild turkey feathers coming and think I will wrap the limbs with enough red thread to cover the wound and balance the other side, then add a couple feathers for highlight.
Hawkdancer
Jerry