Author Topic: Bow Wood Type & Tree Size  (Read 9490 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bow Wood Type & Tree Size
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 07:21:14 am »
I like to cut white wood saplings more so than trees. Something in the 3-4" range, max. I like to get two opportunities from one sapling. And, I'm convinced saplings are more resilient than trees. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 01:00:10 am »
Not to mention the difference in weight and easier to split too. Work smart not hard, right?
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 08:53:27 am »
Easier to cut by hand, easier to transport, easier to store, no heavy splitting and a high crown back is never a bad idea with tension strong white woods. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Travis

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 02:25:16 pm »
I think you just partially answered my next question. Do you worry about decrowning, or does that depend on the species?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 02:38:28 pm »
Never have and never will de-crwon a stave. Some have and do, not I. Id grab a board before I spent that much time making a stave into a board.