Author Topic: Brace height question  (Read 7632 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Brace height question
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 10:50:54 am »
Correct.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 11:23:59 am »
OK to clear the supposed fog here loon my brace from the back of the handle to string is usually 7 to 7.25".My fistmele measurement is the distance from the belly of the handle to the string and that's around 5.50 inches on my bows.
All kinds of improper noises can happen with too low of a brace.You'll see it on the flight of the arrow opposed to a normal flight.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 11:46:24 am »
I'm right about where Ed is. I like it from fistmele down to where it won't slap my wrist or mess with my fletching. I use 4 1/2" fletch and don't even own a wrist guard although there have been a few times I'd wished I was wearing one. lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 01:40:11 pm »
the lowest brace that shoots well,, puts less strain on your bow,,
most bows will handle a higher brace and shoot well,,,,,  but is may cause more set than you like ,,,
the lower brace will also usually have a bit better cast,, nothing dramatic,, but a chrono can detect it,,
if you want to brace your bow higher,, designing it for that would be a good idea,,
I think Tim Baker had a formula, that every inch increase in brace was the equivilent of drawing the bow 2 more inches,,something like that,,
if I am getting perfect arrow flight,, I feel like the brace height is good,, the arrow flight and the way the bow is shooting dictates the brace for me,,and it change a bit with the spine arrow I am shooting etc ect etc,,for example,, if you are shooting a lighter spine arrow,, a lower brace might work,, than if the arrow is a bit over spined,, calling for a slightly higher brace,, :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 04:29:40 pm »
LOL. I just asked my bowyer and he said I could measure it from string to the back of the handle if I wanted to.  :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 06:04:43 pm »
That's good George....lol.
brad...I don't remember reading that formula by Tim Baker.Makes sense though.Maybe I make too many of the same kind of bows to change my brace heights any but hav'nt seen that make any difference either.Too high to me just does'nt make any sense anyway.
I sure hope jayman can shoot worry free now......lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 06:16:43 pm »
  5 1/2"  works best on my bows,,,they dont need more brace height  to shoot straight, so why stress the bow more, and why decrease the distance the string drives the arrow  for..? every little bit helps!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline 45-70 nut

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 07:25:32 pm »
6'' -6.5'' is what I usually shoot for because I use 5.5'' fletchings but 7.5'' brace has proved tack driving accurate in one of my bows but at an increase in set, a compromise I am willing to make if the bow is to be used for small game. Use the lowest possible brace height with acceptable accuracy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 06:11:23 am »
I am with Pearl, haven't noticed much difference in 1/2 to 3/4 inch either way so My bowyer said it was OK to stay with my fistmele about 5 3/4 to 6. Jawges I like that, ;) I may use it again. :) :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 07:12:55 am »
Considering our fistemele is based on hand size and our hand length can vary by 2" or more, Id say the fistmele method is vague at best! Mine is close to 6.5, BJ's is 5.5", both bows are tuned.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 09:20:27 am »
Go ahead, Pappy. You know all of us who can craft our own bows are blessed. I know it gives me a sense of independence.
Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 10:26:28 am »
I fired my bowyer! He broke 2 in a row and I wont stand for that. :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 03:36:29 pm »
PD, your bowyer is a darn good one. :)
Set Happens!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 04:58:46 pm »
Was, Jawgey poo, was. I fired him and I hear he went to work for Simon das German in Bavaria :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 07:27:40 am »
Ya I have fired mine a few times over the years, but always feel sorry for him and bring him back. Good help is hard to find. ::) ;) ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good