Author Topic: turkish bow project  (Read 8510 times)

Offline gorazd

turkish bow project
« on: April 21, 2017, 04:21:15 pm »
Turkish bow project started in spring 2016. Horn was glued in summer 2016. Then after long pause I am back in game in 2017...

48inc ntn, 5piece construction, core-bamboo (strip cut from vertical flooring board), tip and handle black locust,
I did tips in laminated style (4×5mm thick, dry heat preformed and glued with hyde-sinew glue)
Horn is water buffalo.

I started sinewing in April 2017.
After 3.layer of sinew I got limb thickness 10mm.

I did sinew in korean style (combed layers) and then wrapped the bow in PatM style to compress the sinew ... with bandage first and then next day with inner tube (bike tyre)...
On first and second layer I got some white line - but third layer looks good...

Looking on the Peter Bencsik videos  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjWxDBJmpw&feature=youtu.be
 doing in korean sytle - I realised that you must brush the sinew with haircomb real hard - at least 50 times to wet the sinew.
So third layer is without white lines.

And now the hard waiting - I will try to tiller it in July.

Some pics from project ...

Offline gorazd

Re: turkish bow project
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:22:54 pm »
I will induce some more reflex with rope. I noticed that one week after last layer of sinew-  the rope gets loose.
Using PatM`s  method of compressing sinew I got nearly glossy layers so I think no sanding of sinew will be needed. (-S  There are only some cross lines of hardened glue left but they are shrinking from day to day- maybe some minor sanding and they are away...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:31:30 pm by gorazd »

Offline gorazd

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:56:42 pm »
some pics right before sinewing... limb thickness 7,4mm. Horn thicknes 5,5mm.
Both horn and woodcore were grooved - Grooves 2mm deep- matching grooves.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:06:21 pm »
Great pics and looks like a good looking profile too.Like you said now the waiting.The grooves are square edged?I guess it should'nt matter but usually I make then V grooves.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline gorazd

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 06:53:08 am »
Beadman:
Thanks.
Grooves are V-shaped. I made the blade from butchers saw (they use it for cutting bones :laugh:) with small file. Grooves are 2mm deep

... but at first look - some optical illuson make them look square  :) ... I think because of glossy horn surface

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 12:27:49 pm »
Is there a trick to getting the teeth so evenly spaced? Or is it just talent?

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 03:55:37 pm »
looks like a short kasan with very little reflex
Good luck

Offline gorazd

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 06:11:58 pm »

No special tricks , only Good file and gentle moves... I use ski files...
I find nice saw blade with 10 teeth per 2cm ... I filed only one side of the teeth - and counted file moves - 3 moves of the file and the side of the tooth gone from 90 degree to 45 degree angle...only some correction were needed - pretty quick job - maybe half an hour

Offline gorazd

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 06:18:17 pm »
looks like a short kasan with very little reflex
Good luck

Before sinewing  - kasan length was 17cm
After sinewing  - around 20cm

I didnt bend the sal core before gluing wooden parts - so all reflex of the core is from sinew process - bending

thanks!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 08:26:58 pm »
Looks good to me

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 08:28:32 pm »

No special tricks , only Good file and gentle moves... I use ski files...
I find nice saw blade with 10 teeth per 2cm ... I filed only one side of the teeth - and counted file moves - 3 moves of the file and the side of the tooth gone from 90 degree to 45 degree angle...only some correction were needed - pretty quick job - maybe half an hour

Ahhh, so you're not making new teeth, you're modifying the existing ones! Sometimes I can be so slow. Thanks

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 12:24:16 am »
gorazd....Yea that could just be the photo playing tricks.I used a recipricating saw blade.Around 12 grooves to the inch.Around 1/32" deep on the horn and core inner locking grooves too.Use a self made guide at first till the grooves get started.Some go with a lot more grooves.
I think your bow looks fine.Good luck.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 03:21:58 am »
I doubt the core will withstand the stresses.
why did you not bend in any kasan eye reflex? I presume you were worried about steaming the core?

Offline gorazd

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 07:48:52 am »
I doubt the core will withstand the stresses.
why did you not bend in any kasan eye reflex? I presume you were worried about steaming the core?

I got the bamboo for free so I started to experiment with it 2 years ago...

With this turkish bow:
I did some bending of the core - but dry heat, but only in kasan area and not the sal. I thought that would be ok that.
Steam bending will destroy the bamboo floring  I think  - so I didnt even  try this.

I choosed the bamboo flooring core because I have some positive experience with it.
I tried it before in one epoxy laminate bow (carbon lam + 5mm bamboo core + Gordon glass laminate). I saw that people use the same lam with good success in laminate bows using as core...

The core thickness in my turk bow is only 2.4mm - 4.5mm. The bending part with 2.4mm core  thickness is over 10cm in length.

I did some testing with bending the bamboo flooring lam (same thickness - 2,4mm) and achieved the RADIUS of bending under 10cm without any damage.

So I hope it will held but cant be sure of course...
I have obtained some good looking maple boards and will try the next bow with maple too...