Author Topic: Seeking some hands-on instruction Portland, OR  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Plastic_Jesus

Seeking some hands-on instruction Portland, OR
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:55:46 pm »
Hey everyone. I haven't made it very far in my own. I have a nice long slightly curved hazelnut stave that I think will work wonderfully but I am really limited on my knowledge, skill, confidence and available tools. Is there anyone in the Portland, OR metro area willing to show me the ropes and give me some one on one guidance? I have about 10 days of free time starting in Friday December 9th.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Seeking some hands-on instruction Portland, OR
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 03:19:52 pm »
I think Gordon lives in Beaverton or near there. You can contact him through a PM. There are a few others near Portland  too I believe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 05:01:55 pm »
I live out on the coast at Ilwaco. I would be happy to help if you come to me.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 05:59:32 pm »
Carson Brown has bow building seminars quite often just not sure whar part of the state he is in
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 10:06:27 pm »
You're surrounded by friendly bowyers. I'm out in Willamina which is about an hour and a half from Portland. We have a group on Facebook called Rose City Bowyers. It's a loose affiliation of friends that gets together every once in a while to shoot and make bows. Carson Brown in Stayton does regular classes that are well worth it. John Strunk is a living treasure out in Tillamook and he may still be doing classes as well. Gordon Ferlitch has been know to help an aspiring bowmaker or two  ;). You have lots of resources available. Some guys charge and you'll get your money's worth and some guys will help for free though you may have to be more flexible about time and availability. Join the FB group and say hello. That's your best place to start.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:57:14 pm »
And these guys build awesome bows!!!
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 12:13:06 am »
You're surrounded by friendly bowyers. I'm out in Willamina which is about an hour and a half from Portland. We have a group on Facebook called Rose City Bowyers. It's a loose affiliation of friends that gets together every once in a while to shoot and make bows. Carson Brown in Stayton does regular classes that are well worth it. John Strunk is a living treasure out in Tillamook and he may still be doing classes as well. Gordon Ferlitch has been know to help an aspiring bowmaker or two  ;). You have lots of resources available. Some guys charge and you'll get your money's worth and some guys will help for free though you may have to be more flexible about time and availability. Join the FB group and say hello. That's your best place to start.

Yup, what Weylin said.  :)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso