Author Topic: Help avoiding scorched back when heat treating?  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Help avoiding scorched back when heat treating?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 08:38:03 am »
  Same as Mike and Pappy, I scorched a few before I got around to building the narrower caul. I always heat the entire limb in long passes just going back and forth. It takes me about 6 seconds for one pass and I make about 200 passes, comes out to about 20 min per limb. I think it is a bit faster because I can hold the heat gun closer if I am doing a larger area and keep it moving. I never go for a toasted look but rather a specific smell and slight darkening of the wood.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 08:09:36 am »
With the help of all your insight, I narrowed my caul, sanded it down and revised my approach to using the heat gun. No scorching! Thanks as always for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 08:23:00 am »
Like Mike and pappy.I even make narrower duplicates of your static bend forms.I steam bend most statics.Then I temper them after they cool and dry.I'm one who will stand there holding it 4" away in one spot moving very slowly according to the color for a nice even treatment.A 3" c clamps' height is just right at 4" tall for a reference.Correcting propellers/whoopteedoos/ and balancing profiles of limbs are on your standard 1.5" wide forms.Every great now and then a little edge over browning occurs but nothing bad.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed