Author Topic: When cold to cold to hunt with a selfbow?  (Read 5001 times)

Offline 45-70 nut

Re: When cold to cold to hunt with a selfbow?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 08:13:15 pm »
I've been out rabbit hunting with my bows as low as -18 with no problems. All unbacked selfbows.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 07:34:25 am »
In Texas we don't have to worry about such things. I did do an experiment with a arrow once . I was wondering if a frozen arrow would increase in spine in the frozen state. It did not after being in freezer for a week.  So Pappy I think it is your muscles. I thought the same about selfbows gaining weight in cold. It gets that cold I am not that mad at the game. All I want is a fire place. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 07:43:46 am »
I hear ya Arvin, I am sure it is me. :) Ya I don't hate them that much anymore either, but I do plan on giving it a try in the morning, low of about 18 probably lower in the Hollow. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 09:50:45 am »
Sat in 10 degrees yesterday for 2 hours.Out of the wind of course.That's the game changer in my mind.Shot a few shots after coming home too.Bows are fine.Muscles are stiff tough.....lol.Especially my finger tips wheeeooo.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 02:27:07 pm »
kylewayne does not post much, but lurks here sometimes.  He can answer that, having shot unbacked osage bows in Noatak, Alaska at -45 degrees F!!!  If a bow was going to fail due to cold, one of his two would have done so because on neither bow was the tiller exactly perfect.  I am not disparaging his bows, and I can be forgiven for being critical of the tiller because I made them. 

What lets go first is not the bow, the string, or the arrow...but the archer's will!  If you can take it, the bow can take it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 04:11:15 am »
That is what I was going to say........it is too cold when you are too cold.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 05:09:16 am »
I've made bows at -35C just to get out side,most were self boards,not bad if there's no wind!some broke and others held up fine,pretty standard!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 08:46:07 pm »
It was cold but not bad. Lasted 3 hours. Don't think I will be out this Saturday though, calling for -19 wind chill 5-8 inches of snow on Friday. Looking at the weather I think Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon. I will switch to working AM for two weeks so we will have to see. One thing I forget until I am hunting is how much everything squeaks and groans in that kind of cold. Every boot movement on the metal plat form.  I did move my stand to a much better location for any type of westerly wind. I hope I get a chance or two to sit.