Author Topic: Old TC Hawkens and rifling ratio  (Read 18698 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Old TC Hawkens and rifling ratio
« on: December 08, 2016, 12:59:54 pm »
I was told by a wise man TC had a few different rifling ratios in their barrels on the older Hawkens. Can anybody confirm that and can anybody tell me why no matter what I try my gun throws breaking balls with round balls and patches? I've changed patch thickness' and charges. It never gets any better, only worse. Pistol bullets and plastic shoot lights out accurate.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

Re: Old TC Hawkens and rifling ratio
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 01:23:17 pm »
Rate of twist is to fast for roundball.  The longer the projectile, the faster it has to spin to stabilize.  Conversely, the shorter the projectile and round ball is as short as it gets, the less twist you need to stabilize it.  Your old hawken was rifled for slugs rather than roundball.  Josh

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 01:24:16 pm »
yours prolly has to fast a twist in the rifling, thats what the old guys always told me Chris
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 01:35:57 pm »
Have you tried Buffalo balls, Or maxi balls? How much powder are you using? With my T/C White Mountain Carbine I could split a ball on an ax head at 15 yards with round balls.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 01:42:28 pm »
Ed Brooks sent me a bunch of hand poured maxi balls to try. I haven't tried them yet, but plan to. I really wanted to use round balls, but it just cant happen the way I see it. That's a bummer. 

Joe I tried a charge from 80 grains up to 100 grains, I was lucky to hit a 24" square at 30 yards. It was bad. I now shoot 80 grains of powder with 300 grain Hornady bullets and a sabot. It touches bullet holes at 75 yards.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 01:44:56 pm »
If its fast twist, even dropping down to 50 grains might be too fast to stabilize.  Most round ball twist is 1:66 or slower, mine are 1:70.  Some of the older Hawkens are 1:48, they tried to compromise between fast for bullets and slow for ball, and they aren't great for either.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 01:47:22 pm »
From my memory (I has been a few years) The T/C Hawkens is a 1/28
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 01:53:10 pm »
I have no idea what twist I have or how to know. I suppose in the end it wont change my results what the rifling is. It simply wont shoot patched round balls. My gun is a '73 if that matters?

Some day Ill own a sweet flint locker like Mr. Snow builds. I'd have deer sneak right by while I stared at the pretty piece sitting across my lap :)

Offline ksnow

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 02:01:30 pm »
You may want to look at the possibility of a replacement barrel with a more appropriate twist.  I am not that familiar with those guns, but I could ask some of the guys in our club if they know about any options.
Pretty guns just look nicer when you miss.  I have won shoots with some UGLY guns.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 02:09:10 pm »
I used to own a TC Renagade Hunter and it had a 1/48 twist. Shot round balls just fine.
Yours might have the 1/28 conical twist that tends to like the lead maxi-balls or the maxi-hunters.
What caliber is it? If it's a 54 I might have some old TC Maxi somethings around here that you could try ..?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 02:37:18 pm »
Its a .50, Paul. I have some Maxi balls Ed Brooks poured and gave to me. I plan to shoot them this winter after our season passes. If they fly good, Ill be just as happy as if they were round. I like simplicity and you cant get much more simple than a bullet and powder. No plastic and no patch.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 02:54:33 pm »
Hope they work for ya . I'll dig around anyway, my wife used to shoot a 50 and I may have gotten some for her once..?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 03:01:09 pm »
I appreciate it, Paul.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 03:17:50 pm »
I've got some different conical balls you can try, Chris. I know I have some Buffalo Bullets in 50 cal.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 03:23:39 pm »
PD. 1in48 should be the twist in that gun as far as I know. it should toss a round ball nice, but is getting fast in the twist, the maxi was made for the TC Hawken, you'll like how it shoots them.

For the round ball tho, you might try to drop the powder down. Start out at 50gr, and bump it up 5 or 10gr at a time until you get what your after.
 old rule of thumb as i have been told start with the same grain of powder as the caliber you are shooting and then move up from there.

I use 50gr with the maxi ball when shooting at the range and it shoots nice, I do that just to save powder along with my cheek from recoil, and I notice not different in where it hits the target. 
I have never tried but have seen ppl mention to check the twist, by puttting a cleaning rod in it and count the twists as you move the rod up an down the barrel.   Good Luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,