Author Topic: Old TC Hawkens and rifling ratio  (Read 18726 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Old TC Hawkens and rifling ratio
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 03:46:55 pm »
If I remember correctly, the very early TC Hawkens all had a very fast twist and were designed for the Maxi-ball(bullet). Very accurate, which is one reason most BP matches are patched round ball only unless otherwise noted, specialty marches, stake shoots, etc.  you can measure your twist by taking a ramrod, cleaning rod, or " wiping stick", jag and patch.  Measure the barrel, mark the muzzle and the rod, then push the rod down to the breech watching for one full turn, should do it twice for a more accurate guess.  If you get less than a full turn you have a slower twist.  I don't have a conversion chart handy but there is one on line.  Btw, my very old (1975) 1st ed. Lyman BP hand book states the .50 cal. Hawken twist is 1:48.  Good shooting and keep yer powder dry.  I find most of my accuracy problems occur in the brain housing group:)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 04:42:55 pm »
I find most of my accuracy problems lie with the loose nut on the trigger.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 05:09:56 pm »
It's probably been said earlier here but a round ball requires a slower twist.I have a 35" badger barrel on my johnathon browning .54.I forget the rate of twist  though.Could be wrong but 1 twist in 48" maybe??It's been over 30 years ago.Not near as tight as TC barrels which are probably at least half that.My browning would sometimes throw the first ball as a flyer then a wet patch between shots after it's dirty would put it spot on.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stoker

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 07:39:33 pm »
I'll check my TC Hawkin tonight see the twist rate.. Shoots a patched ball real good
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 08:35:37 pm »
The bulk of TC guns have a 1 in 48 twist, middle of the road for balls and bullets alike. I have owned 4 or 5 of these guns, most were good shooters.

The PA hunter rifles were 1 in 66.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:40:30 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Stoker

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 10:06:57 am »
Mine is 1 -48 haven't tried maxi balls yet in it.. My Lyman deerstalker loves them 1 1/2'' group at 50 yards  1 - 24 twist
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 11:54:39 am »
I though all the TC Renegades had the 1/48 twist. I owned two when younger and shot both round and TC Maxi balls from the 54 cal. guns. The Maxi was 405 grains of destruction. Both Maxi and round shot perfect. I purchased a Green Mountain drop in barrel for my 50 cal Seneca that had 1/66 rifling. It has deep grooves and is round ball only. The depth of the cut rifling is what is most concern. Can't shoot conicals from a deep cut rifling but you can shoot both from a shallow cut rifling.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 02:11:03 pm »
If it turns out that it shoots maxiballs just fine, let me know.  I have a mold for them that I would be happy to send you. 

It is the Lee 90396 R.E.A.L. Bullet mold, if you wanna research it a little. It is in my way and needs to find a home, anyhow. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 02:18:25 pm »
Thanks for all the info, guys!

I let you know J-Dub. Thanks man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 04:18:15 pm »
I have a 48" twist T.C. hawkens, it shoots about the same with a .490 round ball with a thick patch as it does the the Lee REAL boolit. I run both over 70gr of FF pyrodex. The worst part about the fast twist with the round ball is that any imperfection in the concentricity and ballance of the ball will be exagurated compared to what it would take with a lesser twist rate making the group worse. It's been a while since I've shot it much. Which I need to do with our alternative methods season coming up soon. But if I remember correctly, it holds about 2" at 50 yards. which is plenty good enough for what I ever intend to do with it. I need to get it back out and see what it can do. I've still got a bunch of balls and conicals I cast up a few years ago.

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 04:58:47 pm »
Pearly,  try about 60 or 65 grains with the patch and round balls.  Seams to shoot about 1.5in groups consistently out of my 1:48 twist barrel on my bobcat.  I also shoot the maxiballs with 80 grains for hunting and I can cut the same holes on the target with that load. 
When I first shot the maxiballs they wasn't that accuracy and someone told me to try loading them with a lubercated wad between the power and maxiball. And man what a difference.  I guess it seals the barrel tighter.

Patrick
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:02:43 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 06:51:30 pm »
Patrick, was you using a lube on the bullet before you switched to the lubed patch?
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 12:23:11 am »
Ed, yes. The maxiballs are still lubercated.  The wad is a small round disk, maybe wool.  They are the same size as the barrel. I found them at bass pro shop.  They are lightly lubercated and in expensive.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 12:04:05 pm »
Ed, yes. The maxiballs are still lubercated.  The wad is a small round disk, maybe wool.  They are the same size as the barrel. I found them at bass pro shop.  They are lightly lubercated and in expensive.

Patrick
Thank you Patick, I have used the same kind of thing on my 44 six shooter, never tried them in my rifle. Thanks Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 07:03:20 pm »
No problem Ed,  I never heard of it either.  Old feller at the gun range told me that and I figured what could hurt.  Man what a difference!

Patrick