Author Topic: Collecting stone?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Collecting stone?
« on: December 09, 2016, 10:40:54 am »
I'm just wondering what the regulations are for collecting stone on federal land. Im not talking about a pick up load or anything like that just a few knappable stones to experiment with and have for remembering the trip.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

Re: Collecting stone?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 11:28:30 am »
I am pretty sure you will be arrested depending on the agency
you get busted by. I know some stone masons that get permits
for building rock. I am not exactly sure how it works. (National Forrest land)
Now you have all sorts of federal lands all with their different laws and regs.
You will probably be followed now that you posted your interest. >:D
I'm glad I don't know you and have never heard of you. O:)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 11:36:30 am »
Thanks Zuma or whatever you're name is. I considered that possibility before I post this. So far I haven't left the county so they can watch me all they like. I just was curious and you know what that did to the cat. Guess I don't need any memories of trips like that in the future.
Bjrogg

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 11:41:55 am »
Not certain how all law enforcement feels but I contacted a National Forest Office here in NC. I was told that collecting rock falls under a lapidary rule and "surface rocks" can be collected. I suspect it is intended for collecting and polishing small stones. They said a 5 gallon bucket is an approved amount. They made a  strong point about it being surface collection. I asked if a small backpack could be used rather than a 5 gallon bucket and they said they would believe so. I have not meet a ranger while "collecting rhyolite" but hopefully I will not get into any ordeals and always proceed with caution. bad part is that most surface rock is freeze cracked.... :( 
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:46:26 am »
Thank NC, your a brave man for answering this post. Do you think that's the general rule or just for your area of collecting.
Bjrogg

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 06:48:16 pm »
Bjrogg, I heard that in Glass buttes , Oregon on the Blm land you can collect 250 # of material legally, obsidian and dacite. Bob

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 06:58:37 pm »
I've never had an issue collecting from the lake shore. I never take more than a bucketful at a time(I'd be hard pressed to find that much). If you can get to stone that has been submerged for quite some time, it usually escapes the freeze damage. Plus you can score glass and porcelain too.

I don't know if lake michigan has the same stone as erie but it's worth looking into. I've always wanted to ice fish saginaw bay. We got perch like crazy over here, but eyes through the ice would be a welcome change of pace, with a lot less fish to clean for the same amount of fillets. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 07:15:15 pm »
Dakota Kid , I'm actually on Lake Huron side only :45 minutes from Saginaw Bay. It's getting cold now if it stays like this I'm sure it won't be real long before they hit the ice. It's like a town out there sometimes. Never really gets safe on big lake the wind can change and just like that the ice is blown out miles. Sometimes it blows a chunk out of the bay too then the Coast  Guard has to pick them up. I thought Erie was full of Walleye. If you ever come to the Bay fishing PM me.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 07:31:40 pm »
Outback Glass Butts was on my mind, I thought it was on federal land. I think the next time I go to someplace with good stone, I'm gonna call the authorities and tell them my name is Zuma and see what they say.lol.
Bjrogg

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 08:25:32 pm »
I think the next time I go to someplace with good stone, I'm gonna call the authorities and tell them my name is Zuma and see what they say.lol.
Bjrogg

Thats funny but a great idea!!!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 11:18:03 pm »
Funny but not really a grand idea. One day I was trying to trace a rout
across the Blue Ridge where milky quartz was traded in from the Piedmont.
I was in a saddle/ notch about a half mile from the car. I had picked up a
half dozen chips and put them in my pocket. It must have been a camp or
rest stop for the traders of old. When from behind a tree a ranger springs out
and says raise your hands over your head. He had a gun. He then hand
cuffed me and stuck his hand down in my pocket struggling to get the chips.
He was really pissed he couldn't find an arrowhead so he took me to my
car (hand cuffed) in the parking lot and proceeded to search the trunk and
rip the seats out. He couldn't find an artifact so he gave me a summons for
removing mineral recourses.  I could have traveled 150 miles for the court
case but I just paid the $75. Stupid though cause I'm now in their data base.
And I did tell him my name was Zuma. No jokes about his hand either.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 02:20:47 am »
Bjrogg - This lake is loaded with walleye, but much like your lake. the ice is rarely safe enough to venture on. We had a flat freeze twice that I can remember. The wind had to be sub-zero and out of the South for it to happen, so it's a rarity. Presque Isle Bay is the ice shanty town. The walleye prefer the bigger water unfortunately. My buddy and I actually refer to walleye caught in the bay or from shore as the unicorn fish. I caught my first last year and it wasn't for lack of trying.  The yellow perch are coming into the bay now after the shiners. They'll be there until the water temp goes back up over 45 or so and the spawn is over. Not a lick of ice yet, but we're still below zero so maybe. The pier fishing has been decent, but it's better to be able to move with the schools.   If you guys get a good freeze this year shoot me a PM. My old man just retired and I bet I could talk him into an adventure.

Sorry for the hijack, ...thought I was on the fishing forum for a minute there.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 08:09:28 am »
Zuma whoever you are😉 That's the kinda memories I'm really trying to avoid. I'm sure glad you don't know me. Something like that can leave a bad taste in your mouth for a long time. I've had a bad experience myself when I was young and stupid, and authorities were just a bit more aggressive than really required.
Dakota Kid no ice here yet either but it sounds like it's gonna stay cold here for awhile now. No problem talking  fishing. I really don't ice fish but they definitely have a shantytown on the bay. Ill PM you when I here their on the ice. Those yellow perch are darn good eating too.
Bjrogg

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 09:02:51 am »
Zuma - that is nuts....you got handcuffed and fined for picking up some rocks??

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 09:13:06 am »
Don, pretty expensive flint :o >:(