Author Topic: Best Vise for the $$  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Best Vise for the $$
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 09:30:01 am »
Old vices are the best for sure as has been said but if you buy new just be sure it is a steel not cast and you will be fine and yes you will pay a good price for one but it will last a life time and you can pass it own to your kids. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 11:57:13 am »
I bought this wilton on close out at Lows for $50 bucks its built like a tank the jaws rotate 360deg. & the base  sweivels 360  I really like that the jaws sweivel comes in handy.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline loon

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 12:53:31 pm »
wow.. that wilton one seems awesome, wish mine was like that. mine only swivels 90 degrees i think and the jaws aren't as stable as possible?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 03:16:42 pm »
I broke two large chinese vises in a couple of years, I went to Lowe's and picked up an American made Columbian 5 1/2" vise. It cost about $70 opposed to the $35 I had spent each for the junk I had previously bought. The same Columbian vise that Lowe's sells now is now made in China, bummer. 

I have had this vise for at least 15 years, beat on the handle with a hammer often to close it tightly on a flintlock barrel when I am pulling the breech plug or working with metal.

I made some easy on easy off pads for it that work well.

The key to buying any vise now is where it is made. Those few words on mine that say "made in USA" speak volumes about how long my vise will last.

I set my vise up with a post to support my staves on the end of the workbench. This way you can do some serious osage sapwood removal with a draw knife without dislodging the stave in the vise.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:09:03 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2016, 07:48:21 pm »
How much does missilemaster master charge for his?

WA

Offline bubby

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 12:36:51 am »
Ahhh the majic? Pm him and find out no money talk on the forum
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Online stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 06:17:37 am »
Like Eric, I strapped a 4x4 post  on the corner of  my bench and I use that paired with my carpenters vice to work on my bows - my wooden anvil is up to elbow-height as I stand to work. I pin a lot of temporary face-plates onto it as additional supports, especially when heat treating for string alignment. I think I use it more than the vice as it is a really solid surface for pounding down on and the working height is perfect for me where leaning over a bench just gives me back-ache

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 08:39:10 am »
I made my bench  42" tall, I don't have to bend over to work on bows.

Online stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2016, 09:01:09 am »
Good call Eric, maybe I should change my post to read 'I also put my anvil at elbow height'  >:D :D ;)

Offline ajooter

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2016, 03:55:27 pm »

Are the pipe jaws on these vises actually useful?  I make shoes like Eric has as well but i was wondering about the pipe jaws and if you guys pad and use them as well.