Author Topic: Surprise....surprise in the duck blind  (Read 7716 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Surprise....surprise in the duck blind
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 03:04:12 pm »
I was caught up in the 9' talk, Don :P Mine was 8' 8", 23 rattles and a button and skinned, it was a 1' 1/2 across the widest point. I got it in 1973. Back in the 60's and 70's it was nothing to see them over 6'. Now, with all of the developement and land cleared for phosphate mining you hardly see them or Indigos.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 03:17:57 pm »
And, I guess you guys are looking in the wrong places to collect the $25,000. The largest Eastern Indigo has been recorded to be 8'5" and unofficially known to exceed that. The largest Pine snake recorded missing a part of its tail to be 9' 2". The largest recorded Black Rat snake, or Western Rat snake was just a shade over 8'
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Zuma

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 04:33:15 pm »
Snakes that big scare me. Just a 3' copperhead
striking at me sends chills. Yikes
When I was hunting them it was not that bad.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 04:46:28 pm »
The longest snake I've found was a 7' black rat snake.  I took a picture of it laying on the ground with a tape measure beside it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 05:34:15 pm »
We have an indigo in the yard every inch of seven feet.  They're endangered here, according to FWS and so I don't even cut grass where it hangs out.  Alabama has 50 native snake species, many critically endangered.  Doesn't mean the unendangered venomous ones escape the skillet though.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 12:10:55 am »
I think the last count I saw for Florida the most were on St. Vincent Island and there over 110 different species. Back in the 80's I saw several Indigos over eight feet on some of the undeveloped ranches down south. I picked up a Pine snake out of the road last year and turned it loose on the way to the archery club, that was every bit of 7'+. That was the first one I have seen in over 20 years.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Zuma

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 01:09:07 am »
I have only had the pleasure of seeing one
of those iridescent Indigo's. A seven foot or so.
It was near the water front on a bay, near
Flamingo in the Glades. 1986 lol
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 09:41:45 am »
I asked my girl friend and yes he's been known to exaggerate.He's a snake enthusiast.I'm really not.Just for covering bows is all.I was just sent the picture.I'm not one to be surfing on internet much for these things.He even said he knew the fella that killed it.
It's good to know the people better that send you info on the internet and sending it on.
Thanks for the info.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 04:55:18 pm »
Stories like this really aggravate me beadman.  Somebody want's to get attention on facebook so they post a picture like that and say it was their buddy or a coworker that killed it.  Other people see it and send it on.  You get sent the picture and don't know its a lie.  It's not your fault.  It's the guy who is so desperate for attention that he has to make up lies to get it.   It happens with deer pictures every year also.  A friend of mine killed a huge typical deer on opening day of gun season a few years ago.  I saw the deer in person.  Pictures of it started going everywhere through text messages with miss information and even lies about him poaching it. 

Next summer if I get a decent sized snake I'm going to take some pictures of it at different angles including the snake on a stick pose.  I want to see how much the size is exaggerated by the way the picture is taken.  I'll post the results.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 09:29:52 pm »
Clint, I wonder what I could start with a python on a stick? 8)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2016, 11:13:07 pm »
Clint, I wonder what I could start with a python on a stick? 8)

You will need something bigger than a stick. 

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 02:09:57 pm »
no matter how big it is, I'm sure glad I don't have poisonous snakes around here.
I like the stick trick, I want to try that with a fish..lol Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 03:58:36 pm »
Ed, we have 5 native species and no telling how many exotic, poisonous snakes. every once in a while someones  pet viper or cobra gets loose.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Parnell

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 12:33:23 pm »
I haven't seen an Eastern Diamond Back down here in 10 years.  Been about that long since I've seen even a Pygmy.  Shoot, I don't even see moccasins down here with the frequency I did 10 years ago but I do see them every time I go out to Big Cypress.  It would be fun to kill one of those giant pythons and skin it out for the wall or my classroom.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 12:42:30 pm »
Back in the early 1970's I dried and mounted an Eastern Diamondback skin for the owner of one of the barrier islands off the coast of GA south of Savannah. I used a full length piece of plywood that was 18" wide and the skin hung off all 4 sides. I know the skin stretched some but it was a big sucker none the less. I remember seeing an old photo with 6 black men in the Low Country of SC. holding a dead diamondback rattler that was as long as the dirt road they were on was wide. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC