Author Topic: There's a hole in my belly!  (Read 9666 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

There's a hole in my belly!
« on: December 10, 2016, 08:52:27 pm »
Working on an HHB ALB. There's a hole where a knot used to be near the handle. Nothing on the other side though.  Recommendations? Fill it? If so with what?

Thanks
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: There's a hole in my belly!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 09:06:29 pm »
Clean it out and leave it a hole....my 2cents
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 09:36:07 pm »
Clean it out and leave it a hole....my 2cents
DBar

×2
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 09:49:22 pm »
The violated back will give you more potential problems.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 09:57:40 pm »
I dont think the back is violated...that looks like a little cambium is all.  As far as the belly goes you can just mix a little tb3 and sawdust together and fill it with that.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 10:02:32 pm »
I dont think the back is violated...that looks like a little cambium is all.  As far as the belly goes you can just mix a little tb3 and sawdust together and fill it with that.

It's violated wherever there isn't cambium. You simply cannot remove bark from HHB with a sharp edge and not violate it

TB and sawdust is purely cosmetic. You need to try to duplicate solid wood if you want a functional fill.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 10:03:38 pm »
If that was my bow I'd leave it empty.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 10:16:55 pm »
Wow, I've never heard that about the cambium. I was extremely careful not to violate the wood underneath and I didn't think leaving a little cam on the back would be a problem. I've got the bow tillered out to 25" and there are absolutely no signs that it's about to blow. I was also careful not to leave any full running strands of cambuim. I figure if it's not continuous, it's not being stressed in tension, so how could it harm the bow?

Here's another pic of the back
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ajooter

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 10:21:40 pm »
Not to hijack the thread...but ive never had hhb bark come off clean without leaving some cambium.  I did cut it a little later in the summer and im sure that accounted for the sticky cambium.  Ive also never had and of the bows i worked with cambium that i "scraped" off fail.

Ive also filled a couple holes with sawdust and glue and never had a problem.  Since the hole doesnt go all the way thru maybe this would create a different scenario...i dont know.

Just my experiences.  Im sure Pat has more experience then myself.

Offline Green Mountain Man

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 10:42:50 pm »
I dont think it ll hurt anything,,IMHO

Id glue something interesting in it,,,,little eye ball would be funny : )
To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 11:23:25 pm »
Wow, I've never heard that about the cambium. I was extremely careful not to violate the wood underneath and I didn't think leaving a little cam on the back would be a problem. I've got the bow tillered out to 25" and there are absolutely no signs that it's about to blow. I was also careful not to leave any full running strands of cambuim. I figure if it's not continuous, it's not being stressed in tension, so how could it harm the bow?

Here's another pic of the back

Leaving the bits of cambium isn't a problem.  Nicking the ridges off can be. You have to see a peeled HHB trunk to realize what it's actually like under there.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 11:32:27 pm »
Thanks Pat. I took a very close look at the back and I see what you mean about the ridges. Think a safety backing is in order? Perhaps a strong paper? Man... I was really hoping for a nice natural back.  :-\

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 11:39:06 pm »
HHB is one of the better woods for coping with this but I prefer to just keep it pristine. You probably can get away with it, many do.

The best way to get it all off out of those furrows is to dampen it well and use a spoon tip to plough it all off and out of the valleys.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 11:46:59 pm »
It's HHB, I wouldn't worry about it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 12:06:37 am »
I wouldn't worry about the back unless you are making a highly stressed design.  It should be fine with no backing. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left